<-- **** DONE: 1/48 Beaufighter TF X - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Slow progress with 5 rockets now done. Then I have to paint and mount them at the various angles, no doubt blowing off some of the fins in the process. After that, I'll need to do arthroscopic surgery to get the gun sight installed that I forgot to do earlier.

Will be tight for Sunday but will do my best.

Aw, just put the gunsight in its wooden transport case, and stick it on the wing root !
Seriously though, I hope you can get it done - unless we agree to an extension, maybe by one week ?
I could use it, to get my FB.VI finished, and maybe even the PR.IX.

I will support an extension if people need it but I think I will make it unless something goes south. I now have all 8 RPs done and will work on their mounts. Won't bother with pics now as they don't seem to show.

So, here's where we're at: All 8 R/Ps have now been modified to make the hangers look a bit more realistic. The brass parts have received a coat of Tamiya primer so that the top coat will stick.

17030104.jpg

The next step was to make the attachment points for the rails to the aircraft. For these, I started cut a strip of brass sheet. The strip was then etched with a file on both front and back to ensure that the CA glue will stick. After that, pieces were cut to length using a marked piece of tape stuck onto a spare granite tile that I use for cutting PE.

17030101.jpg

Next, I had to find a way to bend each piece into a U-shape. My first Idea was to bend the strips around a pre-marked tapered file but this didn't work as I could not pinch the brass strip down to the tile securely enough for the bend. I ended up using the edge of another file which measured to the right thickness and that allowed my to hold down the strip tightly.

17030105.jpg

With 8 identical U-bends made, these were CA-glued to the back of the rail as shown below. The rear mounts will all be the same length but the front ones will vary to adjust the pitch of the rail to represent the staggered firing line used by 404 Squadron.

17030102.jpg

It was at this point that my heart sank when I only now just noticed that the Revell R/Ps are not identical. In a classic case of target fixation, I failed to notice that the front hangers are not consistently spaced (see below). Instead, there are 4 different spacings used but I need to have them all the same. The one on the bottom is correct for my bird so now I need to redo 6 of the R/P's I already finished, or so I thought.

17030103.jpg

I've set this aside for a bit and will tackle these fixes a little at a time. I'm now thankful for the extension to the GB end date as this unforeseen problem would have put me over.

Thanks for checking in.

Thanks guys. In between rocket science, I managed to get the gun sight installed after a lot of tries. The sight is only about 6mm long and has a crank in it so is awkward to handle. First up though was to spiff it up a bit. The part is molded in clear plastic and the reflector glass is way too thick. This was promptly lopped off and replaced with a thinner piece cut from the clear plastic found in new shirt collars. Some black paint and a bit of white for the scale completed the sight.

17030202.jpg
17030203.jpg

Here's the sight in place after about a half hour of trying. Fortunately I didn't get any glue on the windscreen. The operation was accomplished using cranked tweezers, a hooked dental pick, and my third hand. It's not quit properly positioned but in the end I was so happy that got it in that I didn't want to screw around with it any more.

17030201.jpg

One more item ticked off the punch list. Thanks again chaps.

Must admit, I only saw that on the installed pic at first, and thought it was because the sight hinged sideways when not in use.
Oh b*gger !
Do you think you can work the magic and correct it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back