1/48 Blackburn Skua Mk II 803 Spdn HMS Ark Royal - Carrier Aircraft GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
Subject: Blackburn Skua Mk II 803 Spdn HMS Ark Royal
Name: David
Category: Intermediate
Kit: Spcial Hobby
Scale:1/48
Accessories: Some minor scratch building

Ok, another attempt to make it beyond the paint prep stage. My first submission for this GB is the Blackburn Skua II of 803 Sqdn FAA. This aircraft was crewed by Pilot Lt G H Filmer and Gunner Thomas A McKee - DCS, and was lost on June 13th 1940 during the disastrous attack on the Scharnhorst. The crew crash landed at Frostsiejaevet, Byneset near Trondheim Norway. Both members became POWs. The plane was salvaged by the Germans and at least 2 photos exist of it (I'll have to post tomorrow as my <bleeping> scanner just died).

Skua Box.jpg

Skua model.jpg

I was lucky enough to get the book below that had some wonderful closeup pics:

Skua book.jpg

SKUA Cockpit.JPG

SKUA Land Gear Bomb.JPG

SKUA Landing 2.JPG

SKUA Nose.JPG

SKUA Pilot R.JPG

Yes below are the fuel tanks!
SKUA Mid.JPG

Not widely known was the Skua's ability to land on a dime!
SKUA Landing.JPG

Paul, I'll never turn down knowledge! If you have any input please post away!

LOL you may be up one on me on this aircraft. I thought I had a book specific on this aircraft but so far cant find it. May have to do some digging :)

Great choice David! I didn't even know there was a 1/48th scale kit, and I reckon this is going to be an interesting build, and certainly adding variety to what's turning out to be a very diverse GB.
I wonder if, somewhere in Companies House, London, there is an entry under 'Blackburn' which has an alternative company name - something like Ugly Aircraft Associates - until the advent of the Buccaneer, I don't think there has ever been an even partly attractive Blackburn aircraft! (even the 'Buc' is borderline!)

Another one of Blackburn's not so successful or pretty contributions to aviation. Good choice though David, you will enjoy this on and I've sent you a PM as I have loads of detail on this fellow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back