1/48 Canadian Sabre, "Fireball" Aerobatic Team :)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
So I've been sitting on this kit for a while, 1/48 Academy F-86 F-30, that I'll convert into a narrow wing with the Scoobie Do wing pack :)

I'll make it the mount of one of Canada's lesser known Aerobatic teams, the "Fireballs" ! :) Their mount was a Canadair Mk.2 Sabre! :) (from what I can make out of the photos)

The story of the team is great and its a lesser known part of our Canadian heritage, The Fireballs were a European Royal Canadian Air Force team, diplaying and showing in many European Airshows, in bright red Sabres ! :) created in 1954 the paint scheme didn't last long, being changed to a diffrent scheme quickly. The higher ups didn't want the team being confused as being "Communist" (so the story goes). If this isn't a Mk.2 and is something else, please let me know :) I think by the slats and positioning it is a Mk.2 :)

I originally got interested in the team when I was doing some research for the Snowbirds, I'm trying to figure out the exact year in one of my photos of the Snowbirds when I was a child, I got the chance to sit in the cockpit in one of their airshow appearances, was super cool :) and I'd love to make a model out of that. I found the info on the aerobaticsteams.net website, very awesome and has tons of pics and historys of a lot of the worlds teams :)

but on to the Fireballs, here are 3 pics off this site I've only seen the color profile on a couple other sites and these 2 photos I've never seen anywhere else :) If anyoen has any extra pics of these birds please share :D

These arn't my photos and if I need to put them down, please let me know, but its an amazing section of history :) and you know me guys, I always do the rare and un-common schemes. I've got 2 other schemes picked out for GB 19 and there more "nose art" so I wasn't sure if this team would fit into that category or not :D so I'm leaving those 2 aircraft for GB 19 and doing this one as it comes :)

Hope you guys enjoy! and Go Canada :) We'll get to the build shots in a couple days :)

FIREBALL1_zps1dbe65ea.png

FIREBALL2_zps48fcb812.png

FIREBALL3_zpsb3548ac5.png

I'll have to annoy you guys yet again for canopy seam line tips lol :D Canopy 10->Igor-0 :S

Still can't figure out the right proportions of elbow grease, to sand paper to polishing time. Its just crazy :D I always leave new scratches behind on any cockpit I try to do hehe :(

I'll have to put this one on hold guys, I ordered a replacement F-86 in 1/48 after I found most of the stuff in this one missing (it was a garage sale buy) Instead of sending me a 1/48 kit, I ended up with a 1/72.

But all is not lost, if you guys dont mind me changing the main post to another bird? Any sugestions on a 1/72 scheme? I'd love a RCAF scheme, maybe Golden Hawks (since the F-86F kit has no slats) so it'd have to be a Mk.4 or up?

Sorry guys, today just seems like a good to bad day :S

I do like the Golden Hawks. Just curious though...who makes gold paint.

Geo

As crazy as it is Geo, I'd probobly get gold foil and put it on, it would be amazingly expensive, but my father does Iconografy and has a ton of it. Maybe even some lesser grade gold foil is available in stores? I know the stuff he has is very high like 18k or 24k and it would really be crazy to put onto a model :D

Testors used to make a gold enamel paint, not sure if they still do.

Last edited:
Just a small update, my father saved the day! He checked his modeling pile, he found 2 F-86F-30s, he told me I could have one till my kit arrives :D

So I'll be starting on her soon, as soon as he arrives with the kit :D (of course I'll be giving him that ordered kit back as a thank you :D and some nice Korean War Sabre decals to go along with :D)

I took a look at the Scoobie Do wing for the Mk.2 and it doesn't look all that clean like aftermarket wings usually do, a couple parts were broken in the package, I'll post some pics tomorrow, I'll have a bit of sanding with this one and a lot of putty but it'll be great :D lots of overlap and some knicks off the wing here and there, but hopefully putty will fix it. :D

Canadian Fireball Sabre, on again!

Almost forgot, some build progress so far :)

Just un-packed the wing to take a look, some un-even edges, little bit of wear and tear on the control surfaces, will need sanding and putty, along with a nice hole in the wing, but I'll patch it up with putty and stryene sheet if needed :S The Scobie-Do wing is very nice in detail but it has a bit of stuff that I'll need to fix :)
Masking it off before putty:
DSCN6454_zps36f17e7b.jpg

You can see the hole better here in this shot :)
RSCN6455_zps68c83d27.jpg

I'll have to cut and sand this fuselage down to make it fit the wing bit of cutting so far
DSCN6456_zps2c2a4e8d.jpg

Started to remove this section of the fuselage too, the wing won't fit without this gone
DSCN6458_zpsf2a958ea.jpg

taking a break atm at this point
DSCN6461_zps5600573a.jpg

Instrument Panel painted in Flat Black with a bit of grey all Mk.2s had a Black interior, it wasn't till the 5s and 6s that grey was introduced:
RSCN6479_zpsf657dce0.jpg

and the Canopy, the left side was indented a bit so I'm covering it up with Sheet Styrene and fixing the thickness of the canopy as we go along :) I'll do the same to the other side to even them out and make them look good :)
RSCN6471_zps15269798.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy :)

If you guys don't mind, do you mind if I change my subject?

This year 2013, Canada proclaimed as "Year of the Korean War", one of my friends from Korea sent me a F-86 Korean Sabres set of decals. Since our competition in my town is September 2013 is nearing close and the subject will be "Korean War" I was wondering if you guys don't mind me changing to a more Korean Sabre (I do plan on making this model, but I'd have to put her on the back burner for now)

I'll edit this topic instead of starting a new one, since the only thing I'm editing is the decal options for which bird I want to do :)

Do you guys mind? :D

The hallowed Bible of Forum Rules, Article 16, Section 5, Clause 5.2 regarding "Changing one's mind" states, in its entirety:

"No problem"

So I say, "no problem".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back