1/48 Cyber Hobby BF-110D, G9+HM, 4./NJG.1, Ofw.Paul Gildner - Me/ Fw Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

@ A4K

NP, It'll be a little before I start working on the nose section anyway. As far as detail level goes, I'm thinking the same thing, provided I get the holes done in the mounts like Crimea River suggested I think they compare favourably to any resin replacement parts.

Last edited:
Here ya go mate, Aires set 4083: German 7,92 mm gun MG 17. (Excuse the poor quality photo, was hard to get the focus right)

STA52726.JPG

Thanks for the effort :thumbup: man. I think I'll stick with the kit parts though. They seem just as good as these Aires parts. In addition using these Aires parts would create the problem of having to recreate the mounts in the nose section. The kit part already have the right mounts, and just need a little further detailing/refining to be just a little more correct

Last edited:
So, after a week of going back and forth about various small bits and pieces it's time to show some progress, albeit minor.

Front office is just about complete (pic. 12). The seat has been painted, detailed, and glued in place. The right hand side-console has been glued in place as well. Same goes for the rudder pedals. Pic 3 deals with the compressed air bottles that have been re-done. I mixed a fairly dark blue color with some black grey leading to a very dark almost black kind of blue. I drybrushed the straps in RLM02 and the valves(?) in Tamiya flat aluminium. Pic 4 shows the back wall with the extra ammo racks for the rearward firing MG-17. I sprayed these black-grey first, did a little dry-brushing with gun metal and some brownish for the thingy (?) on top.

So all in all I'm getting very close to glueing the sidewalls in place and putting it in the fuselage halves.

Attachments

• 25 - cockpit 02.JPG
    25 - cockpit 02.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 27 - MG-17 ammo.JPG
    27 - MG-17 ammo.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 26 - compressed air.JPG
    26 - compressed air.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 24 - cockpit 01.JPG
    24 - cockpit 01.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 152
With the cockpit being done for the most part (let alone the top deck) it was time, after many, many small steps, to finally do a good leap forward with the joining of the fuselage halves.

Join looks pretty solid sofar, needs a little cleaning up still (after glue has fully set and cured) and a little bead of putty here and there, but overall the fit is very, very good indeed. (note: the nose section is not glued in place, but put there in order the be able to excercise a little pressure on the small join in front of the cockpit withut dislocation that whole section)

As I was taking these pic's I noticed the little gap above the instrumentpanel. I managed to close that all but up by slightly pushing the instrument panel a bit in the upward direction as the glue had not fully set yet.

29 - fuselage 02.JPG

28 - fuselage 01.JPG

30 - fuselage 03.JPG

Impressive work very nice touch.

Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna start work on the upper deck in a bit. Requires indeed a bit of surgery. Not too difficult in itself, but the delicate nature of that part make it a challenge nonetheless. In addition cleaning up the joins and doing a little putty work since certain area's are, for the moment at least, more easily accessible with no wings installed and such.

I agree with all. The "thingies" on top of the ammo drums are leather straps for handling.
Ah...thanks, that makes sense ;)

So, with the fuselage closed it's on to the next step. This involves some surgical work.

In order to show what needs to be done here's a bit of a situation report of what it looks like right now. The first 2 pics of the big one-piece clearpart on top show that the fuselage halves mate up to the appropriate width. Fit the of clear part is excellent. In other words, this is the width i have to work with. There's no pressing inward of the sides to make the insert part fit, by doing so the fit issues would increase dramatically because the clearparts wouldn't fit anymore, which is far more difficult to fix.

The 3rd pic shows the upper deck insert part. As you can see it needs to be widened significantly in order to get a good fit between the two fuselage halves. The 4th pic shows the the upper-deck insert part from the side. It's pretty apparent it will need significant thinning as well to end up on the same height as the rest of the fuselage.

The idea is to first thin the part down to the appropriate thickness...by bringing out the 'big guns' (5th pic) so to speak, and then glue some plastic strips in place to widen the part and then trim these down so they'll blend in with the rest of the part. Hopefully this will lead to a good fit of the upper-deck insert part.

In itself the operation is pretty straight forward, but the delicate nature of the insert part makes working careful and slow mandatory. No hardcore grinding down of the part that is. But slowly take some off and test-fit, etc. etc. until it fits.

Attachments

• 32 - one piece clearpart.JPG
    32 - one piece clearpart.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 35 - bring out the big guns.JPG
    35 - bring out the big guns.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 34 - upper deck insert.JPG
    34 - upper deck insert.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 33 - upper deck insert.JPG
    33 - upper deck insert.JPG