1/48 Eduard, Bf 109G-5, unusual camouflage (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SANCER

Senior Master Sergeant
Aug 21, 2014
México City
Once again I invite you and I thank you for joining me in this thread, where we will give shape to my fourteenth model and eighth work bench that I share in this great forum.

On this occasion I chose, possibly the most representative fighter and of which no other aircraft of the German Luftwaffe is so intimately connected with its rise and fall in the course of the WWII than the

Messerschmitt Bf 109
The box art:

1.jpg

The kit offers 5 options of schemes and this one caught my attention especially for "apparently being" very unusual. I hope you like it.

1./JG 300, Flown by Fw. Hans-Werner Gross, Bonn - Hangelar Air Base, March, 1944

2.1.jpg

(image obtained from the internet)

It's the only original photograph I've found on the web (UNTIL NOW). If someone of you has any other or any link where you can delve into this version, I will thank you.

Interesting note in the option presented by Eduard's instruction sheet:

"This unusual camouflage scheme was seen on some JG 300 aircraft and these were flown during night sorties. Upper surfaces were RLM 76 with gray wavy lines the exact color of the wavy line is not known -RLM 75 or RLM 74 were used almost certainly. It was apparently in this aircraft that Hans-Werner Gross was shot down on March 18, 1944. "

I have some information gathering and I was able to start little by little. What will emerge on the way, we will be commenting.

The amount of small pieces and those included in PE, will be a challenge and I hope to achieve for the first time "not lose any"!

2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg

The pit and sides painted with RLM 66 (black gray 71055 Model Air) and then I added a little white to give a little light.

6.jpg

I think this is the smallest piece in this kit. A crank on the IP

7.jpg
8.jpg

"the eagle of the national shield could almost eat it" :p

All the IP is made up of 4 pieces. With gloss varnish I joined the pieces, apply a bit of matte in some parts and the glass of the dials with Future.

9.jpg
10.jpg

... this is starting, I'm finishing the inside and sides of the cockpit.

Thank you in advance for your comments, suggestions and information that may be useful.

Ya regreso...:thumbup:

Luis Carlos
SANCER

Hello Chad and Wojtek, ready for a new ride? :smuggrin:

This is the cockpit ready to start painting.

11.jpg
12.jpg

After applying the paint, on the control panels to the right of the seat, as well as some on the walls of the sides, I must sand the details in the plastic, to leave the smooth surface to put the "new covers" with the pieces of PE.
...the result...

13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg

You may notice that the left back belt is missing.

To give it a little touch of distinction, it occurred to me to try (something I have seen in some dioramas), to have the belt strap come out of the cab and some part of this be prostrate in the fuselage. Obviously it will be the last thing I do in the whole process, but I will be able to show you at the time, what is my idea when doing some dry fits.

17.jpg
18.jpg

... the photos with side view ...

19.jpg
20.jpg

It's all up to now, but let's try to keep moving forward ...

Saludos ;)

:thumbright:

Luis, I have found these images via the Internet.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G6R3R6-3.JG300-Yellow-1-Manfred-Dieterle-Germany-1944-01.jpg

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G6R3R6-3.JG300-Yellow-1-Manfred-Dieterle-Germany-1944-03.jpg

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G6R3R6-3.JG300-Yellow-1-Manfred-Dieterle-Germany-1944-02.jpg

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G6R3R6-3.JG300-Yellow-1-Manfred-Dieterle-Bonn-Hangelar-Germany-Apr-1944-0A.jpg

However I wish to focus attention on something else. The Bf 109G above ( and of course, in the pic you posted above as well ) is the "Yellow 1" but not the "White 1". It seems that here is the " White 1 "

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G6R3-1.JG300-White-1-Germany-1944-01.jpg

Here is the next kite of the squadron painted in the way, the " White 7"

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G6R3-1.JG300-White-7-Germany-1944-01.jpg

the pic source: Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-5 JG300 7.JG11 White 12 Germany 1944

Very good photos W, and very interesting the link you shared.

I also saw some drawings with the wide tail band in different colors, however the scheme that shows us Eduard, is the "1 white" but has no the wide tail band.

2.2.jpg

What is your opinion? :-k

Looking very nice! Just something I noticed, the large trim adjustment wheel were made of wood (the outside wheel parts), the center frame was metal and painted the same as the interior as you have it now. Just in case you wanted to added some more color to the usually dark cockpit. ;)

Also, without doing research myself to see which units used/didn't use tail bands pertaining to your chosen camouflage scheme, I personally like "yellow 1" with the red band and yellow spinner spiral. The first picture you posted seems to back these colors up as being correct.

Looking very nice! Just something I noticed, the large trim adjustment wheel were made of wood (the outside wheel parts), the center frame was metal and painted the same as the interior as you have it now. Just in case you wanted to added some more color to the usually dark cockpit. ;)

Also, without doing research myself to see which units used/didn't use tail bands pertaining to your chosen camouflage scheme, I personally like "yellow 1" with the red band and yellow spinner spiral. The first picture you posted seems to back these colors up as being correct.
Thanks for the data, Chad, when it comes time to close the fuselage I will see how much I notice those wheels.
I have seen that in some photos, they paint only one of the two, but since they are recent photos, and possibly reconstructed airplanes, I do not trust myself. In most of the photos I've seen (mainly old photos) it seems that the wheels are the same color as the cabin and I do not know if they were originally made of wood, they look very thin and look like metal completely.
I think will have time to give it some color, if necessary.
In the other hand, indeed the first photo that I went up, is "1 yellow", but now that others are emerging, I keep leaning for the "1 white" without color band.
We are going to see how the things and the information that is arising are being accommodated.
Thank you for your interest, I will always appreciate these comments and suggestions.

Un abrazo y saludos :thumbup:

Great start Luis - looking forward to the rest of the build.

Great start Luis and good input. Andy(pretty sure it's Andy) did a similar camouflage but for the life of me, I can't find his thread
Welcome aboard Terry & Geo, hopefully Andy can tell us where his thread is (I already have in mind the way I will do this schame). :-k
I hope to be able to continue advancing soon ... I have painted the pieces that go in black, of which, in some it is the base to apply a metallic color.

Saludos gigantes! :thumbup::thumbup:

Hola a todos!
The black layer remained like this on the wheels of the tires and on the tank (question: is it a fuel tank, right?)

To the exhausts and machine guns I added metal color; to the shock absorber of the legs of the landing gear and supports of the blades of the propeller, I added polished aluminum (the metallic colors are Alclad II)

21.jpg

The exhausts before and after in dry fits, once with oil paints I improved the appearance.

22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg

The cockpit before joining the fuselage ...

27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg

... I will continue with the process ... good weekend for all. :thumbup:
Saludos :headbang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back