<> **** DONE: 1/48 F4U-7 (BuNo. 33710) - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all. Got home an hour ago, unwind a bit, catch up with the forum and then nap for a few hours. Brutal week to say the least, spring break-up has started. Frost is coming out of the ground and snow is melting, 1ft. potholes and rivers running down the roads. Anyhoo...I was just down stairs and I caught sight of the Tamiya Corsair I built long ago, wings folded. After a bit I realized that a Corsair doesn't look right with the wings folded. A quick test shows that the wing sections should line up pretty good

Yeah, I had the same debate when I built my Tamiya one. Does take a little work on the join but I agree it looks better with the wings down.

Are you on a shorter rotation now Geo? Seems like you are home quicker now.

Still 7-7 but when I'm on nights I go in the night I work. When I'm on days I go in the day before to try and get some sleep(never works). Not much off a gluing surface with the wings down so I'm going to see if I can add some plastic card around the inside to get a bigger gluing area

One outer wing panel glued on and resting comfortably. I never meant to glue it. I did a dry fit that was held together by tape and the thing kinda locked into place without the added plastic. Not wanting to tempt fate, I ran Tamiya Thin around the seam and let it sit. In the mean time putting some sub assemblies together. The cowl is in 2 pieces...

002.JPG

....this allows the flaps to be posed slightly open

003.JPG

a test fit of the other outer wing panel show a good fit as well so as soon as the glue set, I'll attach it as well. In the meantime I started on the 4 part landing gear.

001.JPG

The 2 piece scissors were a right pain in the keester and very time consuming as they are a real tight push fit. My plan of attack was to attach each piece to its corresponding ring. After 3-5 minutes per piece, I then detached them and put them on the correct rings...

002.JPG

...I then pivoted them so they attached, added some glue and when that set I glued the ring attachment points.

004.JPG

The last piece (E4) fits into a slot and the 2 arms join up to the strut

Thanks Robert and Terry. Just about to add the outer wing part and work on the springs that showed up in the detail shots you guys added.............

upload_2017-3-30_20-29-56.png

....4 of them....apparently.....4 tiny springs.....thanks......thank you very much

Maybe a length of stretched sprue, or thin plastic rod, rolled in the jaws of a pair of pliers would replicate the springs ?
The grooves in the jaws should impart a pattern on the soft plastic which, when painted and given a darker 'wash' would look close to the appearance of springs in this scale.
I used to use this method to replicate oxygen and similar hoses, with reasonable success.

Thanks guys, 25% done. Would have been 50% but in my haste to remove it from my winding jig I stretched half of it out and this crap does not like to be re-compressed...

001.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back