<> **** DONE: 1/48 F4U-7 (BuNo. 33710) - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for popping in guys.

Good stuff Geo. Those sprue attachments must have been a real pain.

Terry, even after I clipped all the attachment points it was still so tight the engine parts wouldn't release and I didn't want to force it for fear a breaking the part. I had to use a small set of side cutters to cut a chunck of sprue near an attachment point and then it popped out

Have a good week Geo. Odd about the lacquer thinner. It's my go-to product for cleaning my brush and I never had an issue. It dissolves all paints that I have ever used, even when dry.

Thanks guys, internet finally back up. I've had that tin of thinner forever so maybe its off. Is there are particular brand that is better? I tried checking around on my phone last night during breaks but everyone has there own favorite between lacquer thinner, turpentine and white spirits which I thought were one and the same but I found out that turpentine is made from trees. Any thoughts on this would be gratefully appreciated as I do not want to go through that again

Turpentine, and its subsitutes, are basically the same as White Spirit, and the same stuff used by artists who paint with oils - if they don't use Linseed oil-based formulas.
A lacquer thinner however, can be anything between cellulose (not a good thing for plastic), and petroleum spirit, to a very 'harsh' version of Turps.

I also buy the generic one specifically labelled "Lacquer Thinner" at the hardware store. In large doses it can harm plastic but I have yet to experience even the slightest damage using it as a thinner/cleaner. In fact I often dampen a cotton ball with it and use it to wipe fingerprints off the plastic before painting etc.

Thank so for the input gents. Doing a bit of research and noticed there is an odourless version. Is this as good? Right now I'm involved in a shovel move which means I move at 1.5k/ph or I'm stopped. Estimated time of finish, midnight. Gonna be a long night.......

Have not used it but a review I recently watched said all the "Green" or odorless ones do not work as well, and for airbrushes the prognosis was even worse in terms of causing gum ups.

Just the info I need, thanks Robert. I'll use the regular stuff sparingly during the winter and then move it outdoors in the summer as I want to try spraying some enamel for the first time. 1.5 hours into the move and I've travelled about 300 meters......

Actually, I'm watching the other grader work

IMG_2352.JPG

Still haven't turned a wheel and I'm outta lunch now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back