<> **** DONE: 1/48 F4U-7 (BuNo. 33710) - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Right....here's where we are stalled out. The engine contains 18 plastic bits and idiot that I am, I chose to add 36 more in the form of spark plug wires.I manages to drill the attachment holes okay but have run into a snag being that the only wire I have is very fine and bendy. That and the tweezers I'm using are fine tipped but not fine tipped enough to get comfortably between the cylinder rows. Getting 2 wires per cylinder every 15 minutes or so then walking away before throwing it away. 5 cylinders done, 13 to go. After that it should be down hill

I am in a similar position, so much PE, which I have never done before. Determined to get it right. But I have a lot more confidence in your skills than mine so I know you will get through it!

Thanks for the encouragement, done but you can barely see anything. I found some slightly thicker gauge wire that I'll use next time.

IMG_5079.JPG

The next and final step for the engine will be these 6 parts. Also note the detail on the 3 piece barrel shaped object to be buried out of site...

IMG_5080.JPG

Floor, consoles and front bulkhead done. I have no idea what that little grey knob is supposed to represent as I could find any photos of it. It doesn't matter anyhow as everything below the yellow line will be out of sight.

IMG_5072.JPG

IMG_5074.JPG

I used Zip Kicker Accelerator for the first time attaching the wires to the harness, wonderful stuff it is. Are these warnings normal?

IMG_5075.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

Engine looks great Geo. I find the nicest material for ignition cables is lead wire as it bends easily after attaching one end with CA glue. I use a different accelerator that doesn't have that warning so can't comment.

I don't know what the grey part is though I think recall a discussion on it somewhere. Here's a pic where you can see it.

JDK_MysteryNov02.jpg

According to a couple of references , the grey knop should be the cockpit ventilation there ...

F4U-1 cockpit front.jpg

F4U-1D cockpit front.jpg

F4U-1A cockpit front.jpg

F4U-1 cockpit front_1.jpg

Last edited:
Good pics and thanks Andy. On the -7 they either have perfect ventilation or they clawed their way through the floor boards to get at it.

IMG_5083.JPG

IMG_5081.JPG

.....weird.

This has parts that aren't used, it might be an AU-1 version. That ventilator (Part E38) may be for it and they neglected to remove it from the instructions as they did the other parts. Here are the instructions...........

003.JPG

and the parts test fitted....

001.JPG

....there are 2 more side consoles and floors so these must be for other variants. This is a capture from a video that shows the best view of the innards of a -7. Note the different floor layout...

upload_2017-3-7_5-16-30.png

Whatever it is I wouldn't take care. It appears that the ventilation there can be seen in cockpits of the early variants of the Corsair only. The F4U-7 had a little bit different details in the cockpit. However I'm still thinking it is the ventilation because it seems that the entry for the air was in the floor in front of the control stick. A PM sent.

Last edited:
Looking at the cockpit floor of the model I would say you may correct it by adding of a kind of thin covering for the rectangular hole for the control stick. Just make it longer with the smaller aperture for the stick at one end and the grill at the another one. Just like it is showed in pics I sent you. In the way you can work on the new part without problem because i will be a separate piece.

I watched the video and got vertigo. True about the radio. Gonna have to ponder a bit about the floor, camp bus in 2½ hrs. One thing I have learned, never glue something and then catch the bus as things tend to slip over a 7 day period. Anyhoo....did some test fitting of the inner wing bits and this might help anyone who builds this kit. The instructions show gluing an insert into the upper wing half and then gluing the wing halves together. Pretty vague as to where the insert is glued and I thought the insert was part of the leading edge intake.

005.JPG

007.JPG

After about a 10-15 minute battle of wits between man and plastic the hamster woke up and started running in the brain wheel and voila...

008.JPG

Days off are done, have a good week gentlemen

Good stuff Geo, and I agree that the instructions for that part are vague. Have a good shift at camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back