1/48 F6F-5, USS Randolph, May 1945 - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

User Name: Catch22, Cory
Category: 3, Beginner
Entry: F6F-5, Lt. Hamilton McWhorter, VF-12, USS Randolph, May 1945
Kit: Eduard 1/48 F6F Royal Class
Accessories: Kit supplied PE and resin

Here's my second entry (though I'll likely start it before the F4U). I have never really used resin in the past so it will be interesting. For PE it comes with the coloured PE set for the engine, as well as landing gear wells AND gun bays. I will likely only use the landing gear wells on this one however.

Lt. Hamilton McWhorter was both the first Hellcat ace and Hellcat double ace. He first flew with VF-9, but was moved to VF-12 for his second tour while they were converting from F4Us to Hellcats. He finished the war with 12 kills. I like this scheme because of the elaborate G-Symbol as well as 9 being my favourite number (due to a hockey player) and the white ailerons are sharp. I've already built one of these in the past minus the resin and PE wheel wells and it went together easily, but I'll likely use Andy's excellent -3 as a guide as I go through the build. I may also build a base for it, including the Tamiya pilot set with moto-tug, but that's not a guarantee.

painting_F6F_McWooter_a.jpg

I unfortunately cannot find any actual photos of this aircraft. When the friend of my father's gave us the 200 models, he also gave us some books, including the Detail and Scale for the F6F so I have plenty of reference photos for Hellcats in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good one Cory and my favourite colour as well. You'll enjoy the resin and PE, fiddly but worth the effort. With the resin though you may have to do a bit of fit and test, it's not often they will fit in without some filing and juggling.

Cory
dont have a pic of No9, but have a couple of pics of other F6's on Randolph's deck from the same Sqdn if you want them ?
not sure what your instructions say but that unit had the airelons painted white as well as the aircraft number on the nose !!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back