<> **** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MkII - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non-competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: Swordfish MkII
Aftermarket addons: Tamiya PE rigging set

I will start this build shortly but have not yet landed on a scheme. Not keen on AEAF stripes for this one but will find something eventually. Suggestions welcome.

No, no, no Andy. We set up the alternate GB so you could AVOID doing any rigging! :lol: Kidding of course! Very interesting subject and am looking forward to the build, rigging and all!

Nice one, I have the Airfix 1/72 Swordfish MkI floatplane in my stash but have been avoiding it because I haven't done a rigged plane before so will be following with interest.

Good choice Andy. I've always liked this one but then I'm a sucker for heavily weathered aircraft.

Swordfish-02-px800.jpg

Thanks guys. Made a small start on the pit but concentrating on finishing the Beau. Pics later.

Thanks Geo, It likely will as I think the only difference is the wing sprue and larger oil cooler.

Andy, I don't believe I've posted to any thread on this site up to now - however, since I attempted to build the Tamiya 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MkII a while back, I thought I'd jump in here and offer my personal observation regarding the 'pit to fuselage fit. It's tight!!!

I'm a poor model builder but I find I'm addicted to the hobby in spite of my lack of skills. I ended up trashing the MkII because I'd made such a mess of fitting the wings and PE wires near the end of my build. I'll attempt to include an image of my build at a point where I was able to correct many of my mistakes.

I must caution you to be careful regarding the alignment of the wings. I suggest as much dry fitting as is practical before committing to the cementing process.

Back to the tight fit ... lots of rubber bands and clamps in addition to my having held the two halves together with my mitts for several minutes before applying the aforementioned helpers.

As a side note I ordered and have received some sprues from Tamiya and another PE wire set so I may be attempting to finish the kit after I've completed my Accurate Miniatures 1/48 Grumman TBM-3 Avenger.

Best of luck with your build.

1943Mike
_6153011%20-%20with%20comments_zpso1hrijpt.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Mike and welcome aboard. I'll be sure to watch for that tight fit and will watch the wing alignment.

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your work and hope that you'll post a thread of your Avenger. If it's not too far along, you could perhaps join this Group Build.

Thanks Andy but I'd just as soon not do another WIP of aircraft for a while. I was doing one on my stringbag when I ran into insurmountable (for me) problems.

I'm coming along with my Avenger but don't feel confident enough to join a group build. Thanks again for the invitation. If I feel it's OK when I've finished it I'd be happy to post an image or two providing those of you on this forum don't expect too much.

Mike

Mike,

Don't let inexperience stop you from joining a GB! I did not and had a lot of fun and got a lot of help and learned a lot. It is a great group here and you will gain even more from participating! Looking forward to seeing more from you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back