<> **** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MkII - WW1 / WW2 over Water. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Terry. I have a spool of the clear and it will last me a lifetime plus my stint in hell. Last I sent the wife to the fabric store she couldn't find the smoke one. That's OK though as the clear is flexible in that it can be left as is or painted sliver or steel, depending on my mood.

Got the other side done as well. Pics later.

Thanks Kirby.

As promised, here are some more shots of the finished flying wires:

17041201.jpg
17041202.jpg
17041203.jpg

The flare chute has been painted and installed and so has the arrestor hook. The hook broke on the sprue but the break was clean and easily fixed with CA glue. I also made the hook look fairly work with simulated paint chipping done with dry-brushed silver.

17041204.jpg

The tailpipe was also painted and installed. The attachment to the cowl ring was not very clean and has been filled with CA to be touched up later. I'm also looking into whether or not I will also install a scratch built hanger from the oil cooler which was not included in the kit. Some pics indicate that it may be there nut the best I've seen so far are Mk I's.

17041205.jpg

The landing light went AWL on me after pinging somewhere during cleanup. After a half hour of fruitless searching, during which time I ended up tidying up my work area, I gave up on it. Some time later, I decided to sweep up my shop floor and I saw this tiny object skittering across the floor in front of my broom, a good 4 feet behind my chair. Glad I found it because it's nicely detailed. I hope it can still be seen once the glazing is put over it. This brutal close-up also reveals some dusting of the white paint, one reason I hate these types of pics.

17041206.jpg

Should be close to getting the folded wing on soon and then get on with some fiddly bits. Thanks for checking in once again.

Marvelous work Andy!

Your stringbag is not only a pleasure to view but, for me, a road map as to how to build this kit correctly.

I thank you.

Mike

Marvelous work Andy!

Your stringbag is not only a pleasure to view but, for me, a road map as to how to build this kit correctly.

I thank you.

Mike

Thanks Mike. It's also a roadmap of how not to do it in spots. Where I messed up, I've tried to point out how I would do it differently next time.

Looking real nice, Andy. I hate to be the one to urinate on your parade, but the flare chute under the rear fuselage is a major mess-up by Tamiya. This was never fitted to any Swordfish. It is a bad interpretation of a photo of a rocket-armed Swordfish with the wings folded.

Thanks Chris. That's the same photo I've been using as a reference for my build. There's also a second one of the same aircraft with the wings fully extended but the angle does not allow viewing of the same area of the supposed flare chutes. I see what you are saying now and it makes total sense. I wondered how the heck the w/o/gunner would have loaded the damned things back there as they are behind the radio. I will removed the chutes and repair the area and I thank-you for pointing it out.

Meanwhile, here's the hanger for the exhaust pipe installed:

17041401.jpg

I also reinstalled the handles using lead wire, this time with no mirrors. These were removed way back near the beginning of this build.

17041402.jpg

So I'll remove those flare chutes next as doing so later will be a major pain once the antennas and folded wing are in place. Thanks for looking in.

Good stuff Andy, and a timely catch by Chris.
I was slightly puzzled by the flare chutes, not having noticed them in photos before, but don't know enough of the details to have commented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back