<> **** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MkII - WW1 / WW2 over Water. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My pleasure, Andy. You're doing such a bang-up job, I'd hate to see it with erroneous details and not say anything. A few years ago, on another forum, I pointed the same error out to another builder and you'd have thought I had peed on the Pope. I almost got banned. Apparently it was viewed as harsh criticism. Oh well.

Chris

Thanks to Chris for pointing out the bogus flare tubes, these have now been removed and the attachment area repaired and painted.

17041701.jpg

So now it was on to the area I've been avoiding for a bit: the dreaded slats. Having painted the wing somewhat out of sequence as was necessary for assembly, it meant that touch ups would be necessary after cleaning things up here. First off, there were a few small gaps between the upper wing where I cut the slats out and the plastic card that I installed to fill the hole. These had to be filled and smoothed over. The, slots were cut into the card and short lengths of card were shaped and slotted into place and well glued.

17041704.jpg

The attachment points were then shaped to accept the slats and, once ready, the slats were glued in place with CA.

17041702.jpg
17041703.jpg

The other side will be done at the very end of the project when the folded wing is snuggled into place and all the rigging fixed. The slats tend to get in the way of convenient holding points for the model so care needs to be taken so they don't get knocked off. That's experience talking.

"Later" has come:

17042301.jpg

In this pic, two of the braces have been completely removed and the rest have either been loosened on one end or re-affixed. The X-braces nearest the camera had completely sheared off at the upper wing and had to be reglued. The leading edge slat is not yet installed obviously. The supports have yet to be shaped to enable the slats to be attached at the correct angle.

17042302.jpg

A view from the other side. The tape on the rear cockpit has been removed but the pilot's office still has some on to protect against another flat clear coat to be applied on the folded wing once the slat is installed. The rest of the upper camo has flat clear applied. The trough for the rear facing MG also needs to be painted.

17042303.jpg

Thanks for your interest everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back