<> **** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MkII - WW1 / WW2 over Water. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andy great choice, one of my all time favourites. One of the unsung heroes of the war in my book

Just out of curiosity, why did the image I posted above disappear? I certainly don't mean to hijack this thread or go too far off topic but, being new here, I thought I'd ask you guys what I did wrong.

BTW, I really made some disastrous errors in my build of AM's TBM-3 yesterday and have ordered a new kit. I guess at my age I'm entitled to be stubborn and spend my few coins where my priorities lie even if those priorities are not exactly practical ones.;)

Mike, I can still see your picture of your E2 Swordfish. And it looks pretty darn good from my perspective. I'd echo everyone else's encouragement and say that the GB's are a really good place to get guidance as you build.

JKim and A4K,

I just tried a different browser (Chrome) from my usual (Firefox) and now I see the image. Strange. Thanks again guys.

Ahem, attention class.....

So a little bit of a start to report, all of which happened Sunday. Haven't had time to post the pics til now. Cockpit assembly started and painted per the kit instructions. Sorry the lighting is kinda crap but the pit parts were pre-painted black then grey-green over that, followed by a dry brush of Tamiya Sky XF-21. Seats are gloss black followed by dry-brushed Tamiya XF-64 Red Brown.
17022001.jpg
17022002.jpg

So far it's obvious to me that your attention to detail and neat workmanship will spare you most of the troubles I experienced when I made my attempt at the stringbag. However, in the spirit of trying to be helpful, here are things that I will probably do when I attempt to build the kit again:

First, when you've completed the pit, test fit as much as you possibly can. Files and sandpaper will be my close companions in my next attempt.
32219089494_8fd7c681f5_h.jpg

Second, Temporarily fit the upper left and right wings to the upper middle section BEFORE committing the middle section to permanent attachment. That way you'll have a template of sorts to check the angle/dihedral of the upper middle section before it's glued down. You'll probably want to sand those alignment "bars" in the middle section a bit just to make sure the wings slide on easily - NOT loosely, just easily.
32219089454_5789090217_h.jpg

Lastly, My sorry attempt at rigging the steel braces/wires was a real mess. I can tell from your work that you'll not have the problems I encountered. Shortly after the following image was photographed I threw the model in the trash. I did think twice about it and have saved what I could. As I mentioned, I'll be trying it again.

I only wish I had your skills.

Mike
32638877910_f54c10f56d_h.jpg

Thanks guys. Mike I very much appreciate the time and effort you have spent putting these notes together. I think you're being pretty hard on yourself and am glad that you saved the model from the trash. I don't think it looks too bad at all.

Nice work Andy and Mike!

With Andy... I don't think it looked too bad at all Mike! (I'm a perfectionist myself though, so I do know where you're coming from...)

Share the sentiments Mike, your work is NOT trash worthy and probably equal to or better than a lot of us. Please keep sharing, you like me, will get better with practice but your level right now is nothing to be ashamed of or apologize for. It is absolutely fine!

Gentlemen, Thanks for the gracious encouragement. However, in this thread I'm just very happy to follow Andy's build and maybe learn a thing or two that'll help me when I get around to the ressurection of my Mark II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back