<> **** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MkII - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'll throw up these two pics I took from a bit of work I did last Friday. The radio was painted black, drybrushed with silver and two instrument faces painted white. I didn't do any more as it's kinda buried. The tarp was painted khaki and shaded before I secured the shelf onto the framing. I took care to make sure that the framing fitted into the slot in the shelf which, judging from the pic posted by Michael, is important for ensuring that the assembly fits properly into the fuselage. I think Michael;s isn't aligned quite correctly and that's probably why he had an issue.

I dry fitted this assembly into the fuselage and everything fits reasonably well.

17022401.jpg
17022402.jpg

Last edited:
I actually reloaded them myself Robert.

I took a few breaks from my Beaufighter and chugged along on my Stringbag. Here we see the completed paint work on one of the fuselage halves. Regular Interior Grey-Green on the metal parts and a streaked pinky-yellow for the doped fabric. The stringers are wood so I painted those dark brown. I tried masking these but gave up and hand painted them instead after I saw a lot of bleed-throuh. A bit unsteady but it will be only partly visible anyway.

17030101.jpg

Close-up of the instrument panel. The individual dials were cut out of the decal sheet and set into the bezels. The machine gun ammo box (seen in silver) was a bit too shallow as supplied with the kit so I added a bit of card to deepen it.

17030102.jpg

Here's a trial fit of the cockpit structure in the right fuselage half. The left one still fits nice and snug.

17030103.jpg

I need to add the seatbelts. The pilot's are straight forward but I gather, from reading, that the observer only had a lap belt attached to a loop on the floor. Not sure about the W/O Gunner though as the same reference says he had the same as the Observer but the kit supplies a full harness decal. Need to look into that a bit more but if anyone knows, please enlighten me.

Andy,

I'm afraid I don't have any more information regarding the seatbelts. When I built mine I had some Eduard PE seatbelts/harnesses that I used on the fore and aft positions. I've no idea what the guy on the stool-like seat in the middle would have used. For that matter I'm not sure if I installed the PE correctly although it looked OK to me.

Mike
32353532004_61412db845_h.jpg

Looks great Andy!
My books here are now packed up for shipping (one has a Swordfish cutaway...) so not sure on the belts at the minute. Will check when they arrive, if that's not too late, and the net in between.

Yep.

Thanks for looking guys. I went to the Euard site and checked on what they provide for cockpit details. Their seat belts are consistent what I have read, namely that the two seats behind the pilot were provided with lap belts. I think I'll just go with that.

Capture.JPG

Andy, Because this is a Swordfish that is still in existence the belts/harnesses may have been removed or otherwise secured out of sight. I thought you might be interested in the pictures anyway. I found them on Flickr while searching the 'net.

32366378654_25528e2dee_b.jpg

32395646473_b97122601d_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back