1/48 fm halifax.... guess who's back !!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ian lanc

Senior Airman
Sep 30, 2007
mansfield, nottinghamshire
hi lads i'm back,

i've been getting a bit of money together to keep the internet and i've saved up enough for a few months worth :D , to help with the money worries i've taken on a job to build the 1/48 FONDERIE MINIATURE HADLEYPAGE HALIFAX this is for a guy who's dad flew one.

the kit is a right dog just like their hampden but i did it :lol: , did 14 hours of flash clean up :evil: ,i'll be putting up so keep an eye out. :shock:

ian.

Be great to see some pics, mate! Of the Hampden too if poss (I love that aircraft!)

..And Welcome back Ian!

Be great to see some pics, mate! Of the Hampden too if poss (I love that aircraft!)

..And Welcome back Ian!

hey A4K are you telling me you haven't seen my FM hampden !, where YOU been :lol: , cheers guys never been made so welcome :D

A4K i've brought forward my hampden for you to have a deck at 8)

.....ian.

well guys and girls i've been at this for a week and a bit and just like every other FM kit the whole thing is covered in bad flash :confused: i had some 13 hours in total of cleaning the stuff off ! but hey don't let this stop me :lol: this kit is to be built in 102 squadron and i'm not using the stock decals, hopefully anyway !

the resin pieces are not as good as the ones in the hampden kit they where all neat in that kit and very well detailed, but in the halifax kit they are warped got air bubbles, bits broken off the engines are shite :evil:

any way enough talking.............

Handley Page Halifax Mk. III

the fuselage was covered in flash all off now, few !! and i think i'll be displaying it with the bomb doors open seeing as you don't get fully closed bomb doors :evil:

the rear access door can be open or closed i decided close it ! no need for interior detail then !!.

the edges of the wings where the flaps go is very thin indeed, as can be seen on the lower wing, one thing though not much flash where on these parts.

the lower wings show you an out line as to where the engine nacelles go, out ones fit into postion but the inner ones are too narrow to fit onto the lines which are marked out for them.

bomb bay consists of 4 parts... bay/end pieces and centre support.

rear tail planes are a two part piece and these fitted very good, though you can't tell which is the top or bottom of these things :oops: .

stablelizers needed to be thinned down alot they where like big wedges :lol:

the outer nacalles needed a bit of leveling on the mating surface and voila they fitted to gether nicely, the randome is one whole piece which was covered in flash.

the inner nacelles are all warped and will need to be straightned when they go on the wings.

the engine cowlings are a two piece part and where not a bad fit, i've sanded the inner parts of the ring to make them a nice round circle, i used a big marker pen with wet 'n' dry paper on it then thrusted it in out and to make a circle :shock: stop it !!!

the wheel wells are a bit more complicated as the four box section has to be trimmed down and checked for fit and the wheel struts are to go on the 'U' shaped bits even these are in two bits and don't fit !, the small frame work to the right is something to do with the wheel struts and where very fiddley to put together, these go inside the wheel well.

props after clean up of ton's of FLASH :rolleyes: .

the wheels are nice being as they are flattened and bulged, they look like 'paragon designs' lancasters wheels in fact i think there a copy of them, the wheel struts only needed minor clean up, unlike the rear wheel strut was encased in steel

this was my next problem ! can any one spot it ?... you did i thought you would :lol:

the rear of the struts had plastic pieces to put in them and i put some plasti card on the tops as their tops did not fit at all and looked pooy.

well this is what i did !,i first cut off the domes then i drilled out the centres of the hubs/struts, i'll be using thin alloy tubing as support shafts, bending the wheel struts out was not an option and was told they will crack when you bend them back to go into the wheels.

wheel wells done, the rear wheel well is a cast resin part, i've just found out the wheel wells don't fit into the nacelles so here goes some more cutting/shaping to fit :rolleyes:

strut parts painted in satin black, hey these look nice :cool:

a few of the resin/metal parts ready for fitting.

go on have a laugh :lol: , being as the parts have no numbers on them or on the sprues i've cleaned them all up and put them in two tubs :evil: like a jigsaw puzzle now.

look at the state of the resin engines ! i've cleaned them up best i can, you won't see much anyway there hidden by cowlings and the props.

cockpit and navigators parts now going on, does anybody think that the bomb sight is the wrong way round ?.

these parts are supposed to be glued onto the cockpit floor, but i find it easier to just stick em on the sides :ha:

just doing a bit of test fitting ! , not the best i've seen.

the front section fuselage sides, these don't fit the sides at all and will also need to be re-worked.

I THINK EVERY ONE SHOULD HAVE A BASH AT A 'FM' KIT !! THIS IS A REAL KIT UNLIKE TAMIYA'S :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

first splash of the green stuff :lol:

flight panel and electrical panel detailed, the flight panel has five pieces of etched parts to go on.

just check out the quality !! SUPER

Hallo Ian,
I'm very glad you have gotten back here.Nice to see the progress you made to the model.Good job.:D :D

If that turns out like your Hampden did, she's gonna be a beauty !

Thanks for reposting the hampden pics too, most people seem to dislike it, but I think it's a great looking aircraft. (The first bomber I ever made was the Airfix kit)

What was the bomber A4K?

My first bomber was Halifax 1:33 scale paper model from Maly Modelarz 1973.I have still another one somewhere in my drawer.

Attachments

• 1973_7_8.jpg
    1973_7_8.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 182

Users who are viewing this thread

Back