>> **** DONE: 1/48 HARVARD MK.IV - Prototype / Weird Aircraft / Trainers (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok.....after much thought and searching I've decided to depict aircraft #406 from the RCAF Aerobatic Team, "The Goldilocks" and have altered the thread title and photo in Post #1. I was blessed to receive not one but two decal sheets featuring all I need to do several aircraft from brother Jan (Lucky13) many moons ago. I'll have to make a longer exhaust and covert the U.S. grip to an RAF style "spade grip"

I have one of those almost done. There is an after market exhaust but I can't remember who makes it. I didn't convert my controls as I was going to use the interior in a Monogram T-6. I messed up and forgot to replace it with the Monogram interior which I had converted for that purpose. I will have to build my Occidental MK II so that I can have the MK IV canopy as I destroyed the one from the Model Craft kit. Italeri has released the Harvard kit but it seems to be a bit pricey for my budget.

I have one of those almost done. There is an after market exhaust but I can't remember who makes it. I didn't convert my controls as I was going to use the interior in a Monogram T-6. I messed up and forgot to replace it with the Monogram interior which I had converted for that purpose. I will have to build my Occidental MK II so that I can have the MK IV canopy as I destroyed the one from the Model Craft kit. Italeri has released the Harvard kit but it seems to be a bit pricey for my budget.

Thanks for the heads up on the exhaust, Larry. Just purchased one from Ultracast and will make my life a whole lot easier

Ultracast_48235_Product.jpg

Nice !
I could have done with that when I did mine - had to 'scratch' one from tube.

I thought of going that route Terry, I even found a part that I could have reworked into the rear part but in the end I had nothing wide enough to go from there to the engine. Hope to get a start on this as soon as my GB Corsair is finished

Right.....time to get this started. As mentioned above, one of the differences between the T-6 and the Harvard Mk.IV was the control column handle, the T-6 with a pistol grip and the Mk.IV with a spade grip similar to that of the Hurricane and Spitfire...

Untitled.jpg

...I'll cut off the kit grip and use Eduards Spitfire grip as a form for wire...

002.JPG

Good stuff Geo.
However, note that Eduard. along with a few other manufacturers (ICM, Otaki being worse), have got the Spitfire spade grip wrong in its shape, in this case being too 'flat', or 'angular', particularly along the lower section.
The 'Dunlop' spade grip of the Spit and Hurricane were virtually circular ( the outline often appearing to be different due to the various styles of gun bottom on the top left of the grip) and, without the 'rubber' grip coating and the gun button(s) looked more like that in the Harvard pic you posted.
Use the Spit grip as a guide for size, but make it a ring, with stretched sprue probably being better than wire, which is a b*gger to get right and keep it's shape one done !

Thanks for the info Terry and took your advice Andy. However, none of my brushes were small enough so I spent a pleasant evening poking things through the Eduards grip trying to find a close enough diameter match. In the end, a round toothpick. Close enough for me...

003.JPG

Thank you kind sirs. The innards. Some of the sprue gates were quite large so after I cut the smaller ones free with sprue cutters I used side cutters, cut well back from the part/sprue join and then used a hobby knife to gently remove the part from the stub.

003.JPG

004.JPG

The side detail isn't too bad but I'll look for some cockpit shots and see about adding some wiring...

009.JPG
010.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back