>> **** DONE: 1/48 HARVARD MK.IV - Prototype / Weird Aircraft / Trainers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wojtek and very true Terry. I'm going to start with the Vallejo and go from there. Left rail is now attached to the floor and resting. Note I knocked of the control column handle. Not sure when or where it is now.

005.JPG

Once this has set I'll attach the rear I.P.and tail wheel then close up the fuselage

A great pic Terry. :thumbright:

And I agree for the scale effect the lighter colour FS33655 seems to correspond quite good. Although a drop of the red/orange may bee needed to get the better tinge.

Oops.crossed posts... well done Geo. :thumbright:

A bit late to the party guys, but here is one of the references I've been using to help with our Hurricane paint colours. I may have more on the yellows somewhere and will check later as I'm a bit pressed for time.

Huntley references FS23538 as an approximation of Trainer Yellow. This would be the same shade as 33538 discussed above, just a bit glossier.

img051.jpg
img052.jpg
img053.jpg

NIce stuff Andy. :thumbright:

The first digit of the FS number means a kind of the colour finish. 1-gloss, 2-semi-gloss/semi-matt, 3-matt.

Time to button this baby up. There is a minor step no matter which way the halves are lined up so I put it on the bottom. I can get rid of most of it by sanding but there will be mud...

002.JPG

NIce stuff Andy. :thumbright:

The first digit of the FS number means a kind of the colour finish. 1-gloss, 2-semi-gloss/semi-matt, 3-matt.

Yes, that's why I mentioned to Geo that the FS23538 would be glossier than 33538.

Geo, I took a look through more of my references but the vast majority of my discussions with experts on RCAF colours was devoted to the DE/DG/Sky scheme that we are depicting on our Canadian-manufactured Hurricane. In attempting to establish actual colours of vintage aircraft, the absence of actual artifacts combined with, in the case of Canadian manufacturing practices, a lack of colour chits, makes a true determination of colours problematic.

Generally, Canadian manufacturers were obliged to paint their aircraft in colours either matching or appearing as close as possible to British Ministry of Air Production (MAP) standards. There were a number of suppliers of paint to the Canadian production facilities; International Paints (under license by the British manufacturer, Titanine), Thorpe-Hancock (manufacturer of Cellon paints), and Berry Brothers are but three and you would be hard pressed to find paint chits for any of these companies (if you ever do, LET ME KNOW!). Even if you could get an actual paint chit, you would still need to determine which supplier provided the paints to the factory that built your bird. I do have an electronic scan of a Titanine standard colour chart but a) it is a scan, and b) the original is yellowed so an attempt to exactly match a historically accurate colour based on this chart would be futile.

As you can appreciate, this all gets very subjective and I'd suggest that, despite your best efforts to get an answer for the best match, you will not end up with a definitive, fact-based answer. Personally, I would lean toward the colour referenced in the article that I posted above and mix your paints as close as possible to the FS23538 standard as you can. The answer to any critic who torments you about your choice would be to have him 1) produce facts proving which paint supplier provided the paint for your bird and 2) produce an original copy of the paint chart used by that supplier. That should shut him up.

Yes, that's why I mentioned to Geo that the FS23538 would be glossier than 33538..

OK. It's fine Andy. Posted just to remind... :)

Also found that :
Gloss Yellow 5-2 Is the colour of the truck as per the Canadian General Standards Board, 1-GP-12A Colour Standards.

Canada had its own colour standards as issued by the Canadian General Standards Board. The first being 1-GP-12 then 1-GP-12A then 1-GP-12B and finally 1-GP-12C The Unique Canadian Colour standards were withdrawn in 1991 and the US Federal Standard 595 ( FS colors) were adopted in it's place.

the Gloss Yellow 5-2 was the standard colour for all RCAF vehicles used on the Air Field's actual in Canada in the late 40's 50's,60's and most of the 70's.

The pic sources : 1958 F600 RCAF Military-Ordered Dump Truck - HELP Number Dummy - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

80-rcaf_aerodrome_control_truck_1949_8c347606cd21d564c98edf47b5d8ebcf1bd5d8c3.png

80-petes_1980_dodge_d200_truck_445ef8eaff2cc22b80599f29c78504a181c69955.jpg

Here is the yellow paint seen although it was overpainted with the light blue one.

80-1958_f600_cab_chassis_in_enfield_data_tags_8ffb7ffde428b659342a0c8ccc32cef390b75367.jpg

80-1958_f600_cab_chassis_in_enfield_c1bee1cd1ef07693caf958481c7da4d194a62b9d.jpg

80-1958_f600_cab_chassis_in_enfield_dump_frame_7c5439b280c95198a698401d31fd1142fefbaa36.jpg

Thank you gentlemen. This shows the only seam that needs attention....so far. It's a "V" shaped notch, the inner part touching. I was going to file it flat but held off. You'll see why in the second photo. I also didn't mud the area that represents some inner detail as the flap will cover this.

005.JPG

This is the reason I held off fixing the "V" shaped notch. As you can see, the wing root/fuselage fit has a small gap and fixing the notch on the bottom would have widened it.

006.JPG

The fix...

010.JPG

This is where it stops as I have learned in the past, never do major gluing and then catch the camp bus. Things tend to move when they are left alone for a week. Camp bus in ½ an hour, have a good week gentlemen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back