1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk 1, Flt Cdr Pete Brothers 32 Sq RAF Biggin Hill (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Peebs

Senior Airman
Apr 7, 2010
Werribee Vic
User Name: Peebs
Name: Pete
Catagory: 2
Scale: 1/48
Kit Manufacturer: Airfix
Model: Hawker Hurricane Mk.1

OOB except I'll have to make the correct stencils

Ok so I couldn't resist, surprised no one chose to model this particular pilot. I went to get some paint for my boomerang project, saw the hurricane on the shelf and knew I wanted to model 'Pete Brothers' so came home with it.... p.s also got the paint i went for lol

hurricane%20gzl%20a.jpg

from www.phoenix-art.com.uk

Air Commodore Peter Malam 'Pete' Brothers, CBE, DSO, DFC Bar (30 September 1917 – 18 December 2008 ) was a famed World War II Royal Air Force fighter pilot during the Battle of Britain. Brothers was scored a total of 16 kills during the Second World War, 10 of which were during the Battle of Britain.
Brothers first saw action during the Battle of Britain as a flight commander in No 32. Squadron RAF which was then based at RAF Biggin Hill flying Hurricane aircraft. The Battle of Britain was a very busy time for Brothers, and during this time he shot down his first enemy aircraft - an Bf 109 - by the end of August 1940 he was officially recognised as a Flying ace, having shot down eight enemy aircraft. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for this actions; the citation read:

Air Ministry, 13th September, 1940.
ROYAL AIR FORCE.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned awards, in recognition of gallantry displayed in flying operations against the enemy:—
Awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.
Acting Flight Lieutenant Peter Malan BROTHERS (37668 ).
During an offensive patrol in August 1940, this officer's flight encountered about one hundred enemy aircraft. He led the flight in attack against them, but before this could be pressed home, he was himself attacked by a number of Messerschmitt 110's. Turning to meet them, he found himself in a stalled position; he spun out of it and immediately sighted and engaged a Dornier 215 which he shot down. Later in the day he destroyed a Messerschmitt 109. Altogether Flight Lieutenant Brothers has destroyed seven enemy aircraft. He has at all times displayed great courage and initiative.

Brothers was promoted substantive flight lieutenant on 3 September 1940, and due to the level of losses within 32 Sqn, it was stood down, and on 9 September he was posted to No. 257 Squadron RAF (also based at RAF Biggin Hill) on 9 September as a Flight Commander under S/L Robert Stanford Tuck. He was promoted in 1941 to Squadron Leader and took command of No. 457 Squadron RAAFin June 1941, and converted to the Spitfire aircraft. A year later when 457 Squadron returned to Australia, Brothers took command of No. 602 Squadron RAF. He became Tangmere Wing Wing Leader in October 1942. He was awarded a Bar to his DFC on 15 June 1943:

Air Ministry, 15th June, 1943.
ROYAL AIR FORCE.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards in recognition of gallantry displayed, in flying operations against the enemy: —
Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross.
Acting Wing Commander Peter Malam BROTHERS, D.F.C. (37668 ), Reserve of Air Force Officers.
This officer has displayed outstanding keenness and efficiency. Within recent months he has led a wing in many operations and, by his skilful work and personal example, has contributed in a large measure to the high standard of operational efficiency of the formation. He has displayed great devotion to duty.

and the DSO in 1944:
Air Ministry, 3rd November, 1944.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards in recognition of gallantry displayed in flying operations against the enemy: —
Distinguished Service Order.
Wing Commander Peter Malam BROTHERS, D.F.C. (37668 ), R.A.F.O.
Wing Commander Brothers is a courageous and outstanding leader whose splendid example has inspired all. He has led large formations of aircraft on many missions far into enemy territory. Much of the success obtained can be attributed to Wing Commander Brothers brilliant leadership. He has destroyed 13 enemy aircraft.

By 1945, Brothers had flown 875 operational hours and was credited with having shot down 16 enemy aircraft and damaged many more. Despite his record, he was not offered a permanent commission so left the RAF in 1947 and joined the Colonial Service.
After two years as a district officer in Kenya, Brothers applied to rejoin the RAF. He was commissioned as a squadron leader on 2 June 1949 (with seniority from 5 August 1946), and rather to his surprise was given command of a bomber squadron, No. 57 Squadron RAF, equipped with the Avro Lincoln bomber. He held command from 1950 to 1952, which included the Malayan Emergency campaign (Operation Firedog).[6] He was promoted wing commander on 2 July 1952,] and after RAF Staff College, Andover he was appointed wing commander (flying) at RAF Marham. There he joined the V bombers, flying the Vickers Valiant jet bombers.

He retired from the RAF in 1973, after tours including Staff Officer at SHAPE, Director of RAF Operations (Overseas), Air Officer Commading Military Air Traffic Operations and Director of Public Relations (RAF). He was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 1964 Queen's Birthday Honours.

Brothers was best known for his Battle of Britain exploits and was the Chairman of the Battle of Britain Fighter Association for a number of years. He died, aged 91, on 18 December 2008.

from wikipedia

Last edited:
A couple of pics I found on the net of Air Cdr Pete Brothers

Air_Cdr_Peter_Brot_1210016f.jpg
article-0-002D399100000258-227_468x286.jpg

The kit: Not so great OOB, a lot of flash, nowhere near as good as the other Airfix Mk1 I built

GZL001.jpg

Spent some time with the files and sand papers and have made a good start...

GZL002.jpg

cheers,
pete

Nice start Pete. Looks like you got a 'Monday morning' kit mate - checked mine and no flash or other problems. I have some pics of Pete Brothers, taken at Kenley during the Battle, and somewhere, on a transparency, one of me with him, taken in the '80s. I'll scan the WW2 ones, but still waiting for a transparency scanner for the other one !

Would love to see the pics Terry, Have had an interest in Pete Brothers' since seeing him interviewed in various programs over the years. Really caught my eye/ear when i first saw him as my surname is very similar sounding. was especially impressed seeing him take control of Caroline Grace's, two seater Spitfire during the program 'Spitfire Ace', was rather moving actually. The man strikes me as having been a very down to earth likeable gentleman.
Do you know, have there been any books written by or about him?

cheers
pete

Pete, he was a lovely chap - a real gentleman, and, as you mentioned, down to earth, but he didn't suffer fools easily.
Yes, there are some books written by him, although I can't for the life of me remember their titles, and also many accounts of him, in various books, not just covering the Battle.
I'll post the pics of him with 32 Sqn probably on either Friday, or Sunday - got a few things to finish and do first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back