1/48 Hs-123 - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
Username: Rogi
First name: Igor
Category: Beginer
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Italeri
Model Type: Hs-123
Aftermarket addons: I'll do some scratch building of the cockpit walls and most likely more. I obtained this one a couple months ago from a bargain bin at the LHS. So we'll see what else is missing :D

Hauptman Josef Menapace was the pilot of the aircraft, he flew 700 combat missions and scored 2 aerial victories (I believe he shot one fighter down in this Hs-123, not sure about the other kill still reading up :)

Here are some pictures of him and his machine (there are various places on the web where these pictures are, but I believe the originating source is Model Madness, If I need to take them down please let me know :))
hs-123_016a_zps42cdbb81.jpg

hs-123_017a_zps5531a7b0.jpg

hs-123_014a_zps5a86b511.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good one. You sure that's a personal marking, and not a unit marking?

I'll double check again but I havn't seen any other aircraft in his unit sporting it (other than ones he has flown there is a bf-109 in the unit with a mickey mouse, but he flew a 109 before going with the hs.), and he moved from one unit to another during the course of his time.

The only other mickeys I've found were after his death, which are all on Fw-190s in a different colored mickey (red background instead of blue)
If not I'll switch to another one :D or end up scarpping this and changing to something else :S I do have a 1/72 F-86 that needs to get done that could fit "nose art"

I have found a couple books in my library about the hs-123, I'll be busy in the next couple days tracking this experten down in them :D

Last edited:
If you guys don't mind I can also Change to Lt. Haman's mount, that ones definitely a "Nose Art" bird :)

Either is fine with me :D :)

Wooo cool, Thanks all :)

I will get to work and post some shots today, as soon as I wake up a bit lol :D

Mega cockpit detail ahead :D hehehe

Thank you all :D

Here is the progress so far,

This one needs a cockpit tub :D
DSCN7874_zps7f650f05.jpg

I've started sanding one of the panels, the other will get the same treatment as they don't correspond to the cockpit Hs-123 photos I have.
DSCN7873_zps742675bc.jpg

Finally what will this small sprue turn into? Finally some home made time :D
DSCN7875_zps34b3eb73.jpg

An Oxygen (or whatever that bottle is meant to represent) of course :D
RSCN7877_zps1f789019.jpg

I'll have to post some cockpit comparison shots when I'm a little further along.

Hope you guys enjoyed :) Little by little she'll get done :D

Last edited:
Though to a mo with that pic of a bit of sprue you'd flipped your lid Igor,
b0227.gif
............but then by magic it turned into an oxygen bottle. Good start mate

Thank you all so much for your comments :) it is greatly encouraging to me, especially when the model is going smoothly (why when you say this sentence does something go wrong in the following week? lol )

Some more from today, I'll be taking a break after this one, I took a sheet of styrene paper and poked some holes through it and slid the other bottle in.
Here is the "blue print" from Wurger, if you guys want some good info. Gnomey asked and Wurger was nice enough to provide some photos :D

Here is the link:
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-picture-requests/hs-123-cockpit-photos-4036.html

The one I'll be comparing for today is:
HS-123Cockpit5_zps367677a3.png

Here is the progress so far, I dry fitted it on the sanded panel to see if it would be ok :)
For the new bottle and cover, I took an old sprue, made a "bottle" and chopped the top off and fixed it crooked like in the reference photo, later I'll glue them once I add some items to this side of the cockpit and I'll add some wiring and a hose for this new bottle.
DSCN7886_zpsb5b8b754.jpg

Here is a close up. The hardest part was taking the flat sprue, poking holes so they are even and then bending it into shape.
After that its easy just slide the completed bottle in :)
RSCN7887_zps985bfbc1.jpg

Thanks all for looking I'll update some more tomorrow as progress comes along :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back