1/48 Lockheed P-38F/G (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Totalize

Tech Sergeant
My decals and eduard add-ons came in early from Europe so I am ready to go.

If you want to see sprue shots check our Don's cool GB Entry here:

20220826_221705.jpg

20220826_220938(1).jpg

20220826_222504.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And the aircraft I am intending to do. "The Sad Sack" flown by Roland O. Leeman.

P-38F-15 (s/n 43-2112), coded 'AS', and named 'The"Sad Sack"'
95th FS, 82nd FG, 15th AF (MTO)
NOTE: THE 16 KILLS INDICATED ON THE NOSE ARE NOT ALL OF LEEMAN'S KILLS BUT AN AGGREGRATE OF THE PILOTS THAT FLEW HER.

'The "Sad Sack"' was flown by leading scorers of the 82nd FG, including Maj. Robert Kirtley (4/2/2), Maj. Ernest 'Hawk' Osher (5/0/2), Lt. Roland 'Tuffy' Leeland (4/0/4), and leading ace of the MTO, Lt. William 'Dixie' Sloan (12/0/5).
43-2112 was finally taken out of service on 23 May, 1944, after a year and a half of front-line action, when Lt. Leeman suffered a hydraulic system failure from flak over Yugoslavia and was forced to make a belly landing back at base in Foggia, Italy. 'The "Sad Sack"'s final record of 16 victories over 183 sorties serves as a testament to the skill and dedication of its ground crew; TSgt Leroy Lee (crew chief), Sgt Bill Coy (assistant crew chief), and Cpl Sorvando Velarde (armorer).

Untitled.png

The original Sad Sack had block tread tires while my eduard set are Diamond tread. I do have a set of block tread tires but they are the old true details ones with the bulging tires which I am not keen on. I guess I could sand the bulges out. We'll see.
Sad-Sack1X700.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing this kit go together. Hope to se some detail assembly shots. I have always wanted to build a P-38 but hesitated on which kit to get. This may open up (or fill up) some space on the to-be-done stack. Doing a Tamiya myself and have always been happy with their kits.

Okay, so I am off to the races. Here are some pictures of my completion of steps 1 and 2. I added some placard details from airscale 1/48 set for USAAF aircraft. Interior green is Gunze Interior green, a very nice colour if I say so. Primed initially with Stynlrez gray. IP is the kit decal with some gloss coat Gauzy Agent in the instruments to simulate glass.

IMG_0560x600.jpg
IMG_0559x600.jpg

IMG_0562x600.jpg
IMG_0557x600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back