1/48 Martin Baltimore Mk.V FW793 454 (RAAF) Sqn "Glamorous Greta" C'wealth GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ozhawk40

Master Sergeant
Username: Ozhawk40
First name: Peter
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Classic Airframes
Model Type: Martin Baltimore Mk.V
Details: 454 (RAAF) Squadron
Aircraft Assignment: Various
Accessories:The CA kit comes with resin components. Some scratch building required to model version and add detail as required. Engine Cowls replaced with OZMODS resin correction.
Decals: Custom​

You know what?

When looking for my entries for this group build I had selected a couple of great projects that I had in the stash, but when I saw this beauty in a catalogue and remembered that the RAAF operated these in the Med, I just had to do an example of this little known, unusual, but great aircraft.

I've spend the past few weeks doing some initial research and chasing up reference material to get this underway, so bear with me a little longer and I'll get moving.

I'll include a bit of history on 454 Squadron. A little about the aircraft FW793 and Baltimores in general, and I have some info on the crew for Greta's last flight on the 13th April 1945.

The CA kit is the 'Foreign Version' which includes decals for Turkey, Greece and Italy, but that's neither here nor there because the aircraft I have chosen is an RAAF one for which there are no commercially available decals. I hope I don't muck this one up!

CR - make way mate, I hope there's a bit of room, this one's maximum effort. :D8)

Cheers

Peter

P.S. Photo Source: Australian War Memorial www.awm.gov.au

Attachments

• box art.jpg
    box art.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 949
  • box art 4.jpg
    box art 4.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 327
  • glamorous greta nose art 2.jpg
    glamorous greta nose art 2.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 287
  • glamorous greta nose art.jpg
    glamorous greta nose art.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Good one Peter. The Baltimore as an airplane that I really don't know much about. It'll be interesting to learn more about it.

Great stuff Peter! The Balt and Maryland were unsung heroes, and coincidentally, I've just been watching footage of Balts in Italy and the Balkans. Looking forward to this one mate !

Nice choice Peter. Thanks for the competition and keep that cane handy! Maybe Jayl will join us as well.

Struth Peter, top choice mate and I'm sure you'll do it justice. Also, not that I'll be up with you guys, but I've regraded my PBY entry to the advanced group just for the heck of it..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back