1/48 Nieuport 17 - From WW1 to WW2 GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
Username:Rogi
First Name: Igor
Category:3 (Just a reguler out of the box again ) has some photoetch goodies to go along with it :D
Scale: 1/48
Kit Manufacturer: Eduard
Model Type: Nieuport 17
Details:

I'll be doing the mount of Italian Ace Francesco Baracca, His "prancing horse" logo was used and adjusted by Ferrari for his iconic racing car company :)
Francesco is Italy's top ace of WW1 with 34 victories.

I'll take the bit of history from Wiki if you guys don't mind :D

"It was around this time that Baracca adopted as a personal emblem a black prancing horse on his Nieuport 17, in tribute to his former cavalry regiment. This prompted some to call him, "The Cavalier of the Skies".Flying the Nieuport 17 and then, from March 1917, the SPAD VII, he scored both individually, and in combination with other Italian aces."

and one for the logo:
"In later years, Baracca's mother presented his prancing stallion emblem, the Cavallino Rampante, to Enzo Ferrari. The prancing horse has been the official symbol of the Scuderia Ferrari racing team since 1929, and of Ferrari automobiles since they began manufacture"

I'll add a bit more later :)

P.S. I can finally explain my Wood grainy method! :D

Here is his emblem, the Prancing Stallion, it is in tribute to his old cavalry regiment Francesco first adopted it on his Nieuport 17
HORSE.png

I still have to add his history here :D

Last edited:
We learn every day and if I'm right, the prancing horse was also taken up by 4o Stormo. It will be good to watch this little fellow come together.

Nice one Igor!

Interesting the history of the 'prancing horse' log - just finished my first prancing horse sketch the other day (1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB)

Well I guess I should get started :D heres a small update, took the photo etch seat and gun out and trimed, glued the hinge on the gun and trimed the seat completley so the fit can be flush when I glue her together. :)

DSCN5006.jpg

RSCN5014.jpg

P.S. Horse and some other pics soon :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back