<-- **** DONE: 1/48 P-38J Hill's Angels - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! Being envious of Wayne's consistently superior surface work, I've hired some little people of my own.

I've attached the radiator vent doors. I don't like the fit on some of them so I'll have to make adjustments. The cleanup work on the boom joints continues as well.

IMG_3070_zpsjmjxwxux.jpg

IMG_3071_zpsqpoz6byb.jpg

IMG_3072_zps3hfdnqpe.jpg

IMG_3073_zpsoedqws53.jpg

I've lost a few of the raised rivets but I don't think I'll replace them with holes since that would look odd.
IMG_3074_zpsdkdlde2n.jpg

IMG_3075_zpsnbn8nje1.jpg

The final touch ups on the nose have been completed.
IMG_3076_zpsgbbcw5bq.jpg

IMG_3077_zps93aejvvh.jpg

Question? Are you using the kit supplied air intakes for the Superchargers or aftermarket? The ones that came with my Revell kit look entirely too small and wrongly shaped?

Lots of AM on this build including the Eduard Turbo Supercharger set. The main intakes have been painted and will be attached towards the end of the build.
IMG_2840_zpsgnlirl12.jpg

I saw that kit but it was for your version of course. Can't find one for the Revell kit. But they sure look great! I was curious because I have yet to see anyone satisfied with the OOB intakes or 'chargers.
Based on how the parts are attached onto a flat surface, I'm sure you could get the Eduard set to fit your Revell kit. The superchargers on the Academy kit looked fairly decent. Ya want em?
IMG_2841_zpsaj4ctnvl.jpg

I'm not using the kit intakes either but I'm not sure if they are an upgrade over the Revell kit or not.
IMG_2824_zpslevb6tsg.jpg

Let me know... I'd be more than happy to put those parts in an envelope for you.

Based on how the parts are attached onto a flat surface, I'm sure you could get the Eduard set to fit your Revell kit. The superchargers on the Academy kit looked fairly decent. Ya want em?
IMG_2841_zpsaj4ctnvl.jpg

I'm not using the kit intakes either but I'm not sure if they are an upgrade over the Revell kit or not.
IMG_2824_zpslevb6tsg.jpg

Let me know... I'd be more than happy to put those parts in an envelope for you.
Thanks very much for a very kind offer! I will stick with what I have for this round. But I am going to do this build again with a different vendor, either Academy (I like what I have seen of your kit!) or perhaps another. Would love one that is more recently tooled. I have sanded a lot of the detail off mine because it was all raised. And I am not terribly good at scribing yet but working on it!!!! To be honest part of what will drive my kit selection from now on aside from price will be availability of aftermarket parts.

Thanks very much for a very kind offer! I will stick with what I have for this round. But I am going to do this build again with a different vendor, either Academy (I like what I have seen of your kit!) or perhaps another. Would love one that is more recently tooled. I have sanded a lot of the detail off mine because it was all raised. And I am not terribly good at scribing yet but working on it!!!! To be honest part of what will drive my kit selection from now on aside from price will be availability of aftermarket parts.

One of the great things I've discovered on this site is the willingness of other posters to contribute. I've received spare parts and decals and even a whole kit as a result of the generosity of the ww2aircraft.net community. So I just want to extend the same courtesies that I have been shown! Let me know if you change your mind.

I did some internet research prior to purchasing the Academy P-38 kit. It was a toss-up between this one and Hasegawa's 1/48 Lightning. A few people have stated that the Hasegawa has better detail but the majority seem to think that the Academy fits better. Due to the complicated twin boom configuration, I went with the better fit.

One of the great things I've discovered on this site is the willingness of other posters to contribute. I've received spare parts and decals and even a whole kit as a result of the generosity of the ww2aircraft.net community. So I just want to extend the same courtesies that I have been shown! Let me know if you change your mind.

I did some internet research prior to purchasing the Academy P-38 kit. It was a toss-up between this one and Hasegawa's 1/48 Lightning. A few people have stated that the Hasegawa has better detail but the majority seem to think that the Academy fits better. Due to the complicated twin boom configuration, I went with the better fit.
That jives with my experience so far about the people on this forum! Thanks again for the offer. I am definitely going to buy one of those two kits. Not sure which yet but should be fun!

One more question please, I noted in reviews of both the Revell kit, and the Hasegawa kit that the builders had issues with attaching the main gear doors. Basically their complaint centered around the lack of positive locator marks or pins. And they were fiddly to hold until solid. What was your experience on that area with the Academy kit?

I have not attached my gear doors yet either so I can't say for sure but it's been a previously noted concern. I used photoetch to dress up the inside faces of the gear doors which required me to saw off the little attachment tabs on the gear doors.
IMG_2827_zps5ggutbbl.jpg

IMG_2910_zpsqzqlyew8.jpg

In order to help me attach the gear doors, I've fashioned some hinges out of scrap plastic. Hopefully this gives me enough plastic to provide a connection but that remains to be seen.
IMG_3020_zpsmsmsdr5n.jpg

I also have some delicate brass actuator arms from the Eduard upgrade set. But given my past experiences with delicate photoetch pieces, I have serious doubts about these parts having any type of holding power. And since my wheel wells are already built up, I might not be able to get these actuator arms in anyway.
48748-2_zpsa5rvpcnr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back