<-- **** DONE: 1/48 P-38J Hill's Angels - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Welcome back John and Happy New Year. Which bloke do you mean. I can only guess the guy on the right is Tiger but he looks too thin.

Still not feeling 100% so getting back into the cold workroom after sundown is not appealing to me. The mystery golfer is Barack Obama. He golfs at Mid Pacific regularly when he's in Hawaii but this is the first time I've been there at the same time. We got frisked by Secret Service when our groups passed each other on adjacent holes.

A few niggling things have been causing me procrastination on this build. One of them is the mispainted prop spinners. I misread the decal instructions and assumed that the spinners were green with a white stripe around the back edge of the spinner.
IMG_3106_zpsjxftqigu.jpg

The white stripe is actually in the middle of the spinner and the back half should be painted olive drab. So I finally worked up enough motivation to remove the prop blades, strip the paint and correct the spinners.
IMG_3107_zps0s3xe21l.jpg

IMG_3108_zpsvhvjbvkt.jpg

The preshading took 3-4 sessions to complete. I think the weather (cold and rainy) plus this hanging remnant of illness has something to do with my lack of desire.
IMG_3109_zpsxjoocb2d.jpg

IMG_3110_zps0pdanltk.jpg

The neutral grey has been sprayed onto the bottom. I want to lighten some of the panels with a lighter grey but laziness is telling me to skip that step and get on with the olive drab uppers.
IMG_3111_zpsks1fdy7e.jpg

Nice work John, particularly on those spinner stripes.
I know what you mean about the lack of motivation - been in Norfolk for a couple of days, and picked up a heavy cold. Got back today and had to force myself to get to the bench. At least it made me forget about the cold for awhile !

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I think part of the issue is not having any future projects in my sights. At this stage in the game, I'm usually looking at the next GB and thinking/planning about that usually gets me motivated to spend more time on the workbench. But the next few GB's are outside of my wheelhouse. Don't really have the interest or inclination for a WWI subject. I might be able scrounge up a prototype but I like production models better. Jets aren't really my thing so the Vietnam GB doesn't really stoke my fire. I have some non-GB stuff in my stash that I may do after this P-38. 1/48 Bf109K-4 and a 1/32 109D-9 Big Tail.

Creeping along here. It took a couple of days to get the upper olive drab surfaces painted. Instead of using masks, I free-handed the demarcation between the OD and the Neutral Grey.
IMG_3122_zpshx6iluzz.jpg

IMG_3125_zpsp9p9jxwg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back