1/48 P-40 "Flying Tigers" - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

meatloaf109

1st Lieutenant
Jan 1, 2012
north carolina
Username, Meatloaf109
Name, Paul
Category, Intermediate
Scale, 1/48
Manufacturer, Academy
Type, Curtiss P-40c
Aftermarket, None.

Long a favorite of modelers, the "Flying Tiger" version of the P-40 has been done almost to death. I beg the pardon of anyone tired of this scheme, but I will do one more.
Bob Neale was the squadron leader of the 1st pursuit A.V.G. They chose as their squadron insignia, a depiction of "Adam" chasing "Eve", this being the first pursuit that they were aware of. (A good joke, I don't care who you are!)
Anyways, I intend on doing his plane.

p401.jpg

p402.jpg

p403.jpg

Good choice, I haven't built one up to now.
Oh wait, I did a VVS one........... duh! But it was modified, prop, spinner, seats.

Good choice.

yah hav tah think of John Wayne pilgrim, swaggering up to His wooden plane then the wings shaking as he taxis in the dirt. :)

Attachments

• flyingtigerpic.jpg
    flyingtigerpic.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Yeah, that was a great movie. "I hope you two had a good time,...'cause Hap paid the check!"

Been waiting for you to start this one Paul. Once I get a little organized I'll be joining you with one from the 3rd pursuit, either R. T. Smith's #77 or Chuck Older's #68. I just received Osprey's American Volunteer Group Colors and Markings yesterday so if you need anything from it give me a yell. One interesting thing I picked up already was that the leaping winged tiger on the fuselage was a stick-on decal designed by the Walt Disney studio for the AVG and shipped to China for them. The reason that the paint around it looks different on some aircraft is that on some new paint was applied in the area of the decal so it would stick better than on the weathered paint.

Was going to do this one, with a Guillow's flying model, as a captured P-40, captured by the Japanese in the Philippines. Then I realized captured aircraft did not comply with the rules for this GB. Instead I'll just watch.

Good one, Paul..... will be watching...

Charles

Been waiting for you to start this one Paul. Once I get a little organized I'll be joining you with one from the 3rd pursuit, either R. T. Smith's #77 or Chuck Older's #68. I just received Osprey's American Volunteer Group Colors and Markings yesterday so if you need anything from it give me a yell. One interesting thing I picked up already was that the leaping winged tiger on the fuselage was a stick-on decal designed by the Walt Disney studio for the AVG and shipped to China for them. The reason that the paint around it looks different on some aircraft is that on some new paint was applied in the area of the decal so it would stick better than on the weathered paint.

I always thought that it was a clear sealer over them so they wouldn't peel off in flight.

The stars are easy to mask and paint. It's the numbers I'd be worried about.

Now back to Paul's build!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back