1/48 P-47 Razorback - Tamiya Kit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Starting on a P-47 from Tamiya. I have resin and PE parts for this as well as decals for a Gabreski razorback. Pics to come later tonight.

So, after my experience with the resin on the Corsair, I discovered I had resin AND PE sets for this bird. So, I am going to combine them, along with any kit parts that I think are better, into one cockpit. I am hoping the cockpit becomes a model all unto itself. I found a set of early P-47 Razorback decals that included the Razorback that Gabreski flew. I know I mentioned my meeting Gabreski when I was a youngster at our Church back in the later 60s. I still remember that meeting and just how gracious he was to a youngster. I have included a wikipedia link for those who are interested.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Gabreski

The pics included are the aftermarket sets, the kit itself, and the decal set I found. I am really looking forward to this one.

Pics:
Aftermarket Parts.JPG
Decals 1.JPG
Tamiya Kit 1.JPG
Tamiya Kit 2.JPG

Last edited:
Hey, All,
Ok, I have started on the various PEs bits with the resin set. First pic is below. I am not sure where the "smear" is coming from in the pic.
IP and side walls - part way done.JPG

Nice work.
If you mean the slightly 'soft' look in the bottom area of the photo, it looks rather like 'flare', which is extraneous light 'bouncing' around, often caused by reflection from a light-coloured object nearby, at odds with the angle of the main light source, in this case possibly the 'Blue Tac', or, more often, an unseen mark on the lens surface (including rear element on removable lenses), generally a finger print or other source of diffusion.

Andy, The smear seems to be a bloom of some kind. I think Geo has it right about the noise. Geo, I have seen several photos of that map case, both in leather and interior green. The PE was green so I left it that shade.

Last edited:
Hey, Guys,
Well, I spent most of this weekend working on the cockpit tub. I used most of the resin pieces for this assembly. I did use the kit floor/forward bulkhead and the stock seat and seat mount, and the throttle quadrant. The resin seat mount broke as I was trying to get it off its injection "plate", so that put me back to using the kit mount and floorboard. I used the kit seat as I think it actually was a better piece. I really like the PE placards. Sure adds a little more to the cockpit. The IP was done with PE then brushed with a flat clear. I then picked out the instrument lenses with some gloss clear. That is damned near impossible to see in the pics. I am worried about the tilt in the rear bulkhead. I am going to try a dry fit later today to see if this a true issue. I did wind up using 5 minute epoxy to assemble the various resin bits as I was having trouble getting a real string joint with just super glue.

Pics:
Cockpit 1.JPG
Cockpit 2.JPG
Cockpit 3.JPG
Cockpit 4.JPG
Cockpit 5.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back