1/48 PV-1 Ventura - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Peter. I'll be watching the modifications for when the RAF version is released. I'm guessing the interior layout would be more or less similar, at least up front, with only one control column, so your info will come in useful - eventually (maybe 2016, or .....!!).

Very impressive interior work. Will any of it be visible in the finished model?

Oh certainly Mike. The mods to the divider/bulkhead will be clearly visible through the greenhouse canopy, and because it's been cut down, you would get glimpses into the radio operators station. To be said, there is not a lot of interior detail in this kit straight from the box, but Revell have put it out for a great price. Fuselage side windows, Martin upper turrent and lower gunner station all give views of the interior. I guess you please yourself how far you go with adding detail, but plenty of scope.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks guys

Tonight's update as follows:

Pic 1
From the PV-1 manual, this page shows the layout of the radio operators station, desk and bulkhead locations. I'll need to fab the bulkhead between the radio area and the upper gunner compartment.

Pic 2
Here, I've drawn the design on a piece of card by tracing around a cardboard template I tweaked until it was right.

Pic 3
This is the new bulkhead compared to the resin version. Not dissimilar, but the resin item is too narrow to use in this location, which is right on the wing spar. You have to climb over the spar to get to the rear of the aircraft.

Pic 4
This is the Revell cockpit floor compared to the resin version. Not much difference really. I wonder why True details bothered. Anyway, I will cut off the central control box highlighted and add it to the fab'd new floor. I have already cut of the stairs that lead into the aircraft nose area, and will also attach that to the new floor.

Pic 5
The Radio Operators table is also cut from card.

Pic 6
Here is the cockpit area thus far, with all the bits above added, plus the pilots side wall from the True Details resin set.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• cockpit 021.jpg
    cockpit 021.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 110
  • cockpit 017.jpg
    cockpit 017.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 101
  • cockpit 016.jpg
    cockpit 016.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 110
  • cockpit 020.jpg
    cockpit 020.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 108
  • cockpit 018.jpg
    cockpit 018.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 121
  • cockpit 019.jpg
    cockpit 019.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 111
Nice work Peter.
Don't know if you're aware, but there was a hinged cover over the access to the astro dome, which swung down, inside, on the starboard side.
I've been trying to find the photos - thought I'd saved them - but can't seem to find the web site they were on !!

Peter, looking very nice. I'm all for detail but as I've posted before, so much of it get buried inside the model never to be seen. I recall one where the builder actually installed LED bulbs to light the interior

Coming along nicely Peter. One of the very few things I disliked about the kit is the need to put the windows in before closing. I managed to loosen the radio operators window and had to use a pokey tool through the cockpit to get it back in place. Though the windows look similar they will only fit in the holes they are indicated to fit in. Also, some(all) of the notches the windows fit into are irregular, one side being longer than the other to ensure a good fit(Does this sound like experience talking?). Coating the windows with Future™ is highly recommended.

Geo

Believe it is an AWL (in the colonies anyway). I have a set of very small screwdrivers and one was included. Dental picks work as well

Attachments

• MDY_55-0119.jpg
    MDY_55-0119.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
AH! I see what it is now! So 'Pokey tool' is one of those technical terms then !
A cocktail stick with a lump of 'Plasticine' on the end, or, if it'll fit, a narrow, spring-loaded 'pick up' tool works well too.

I found those interior photos I mentioned, Peter. They're in the Schiffer book - which I'd forgotten I had on the computer!
Let me know if you need anything, as there are a few pics showing the mid-section and radio position, as well as that astro dome shot.

Peter M. Bowers in the book scale aircraft drawings vol.II world war II has four very good schemes detailed interior and exterior plane, if you need could send to you by mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back