1/48 Revell P-47 Thunderbolt

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maglar

Tech Sergeant
Jan 29, 2009
Florida
Hello everyone, glad to say I am on break from school and was able to finish this one. I went for the unrealistic exaggerated panel lines and I like it in the sense for making the model pop and not being dull. I also worked in some oils and bits on the surfaces for variation. I lost one of the gear doors and am waiting on Revell for a replacement so those are not attached right now along with the antenna wire as I need a thinner spool.

As always, gotta love the teeth! Enjoy :D

Attachments

• P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 208
  • P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 199
  • P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 207
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 206
  • P1010022.JPG
    P1010022.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 203
Thanks bill! I left it to the discretion of the artist and he agreed. I noticed panel lines like these across other models on the web and I always liked it but knew better for accuracy. I hopped the fence on this one :)

Modeling nirvana to me would be finding that perfect weathered look. I think restrained preshading of panel lines can help get there but it can be easily overdone as you've admitted here. Nice model though. I think you did well.

Good one Mags, and the panel lines aren't too bad. By the time the 9th AF 'Jugs' got to the Continent, in late June to mid July 1944, they'd taken quite a hammering, and some did show some weathering by then. Maybe not quite as heavy, but it showed.
By the way, you don't need the antenna wire - in the northern ETO (i.e., UK, France, Holland, Belgium etc.), allied fighters were operating on VHF radio, with the carbon antenna in the mast, so no wire, which was used on HF and some LF radios.
In the PTO, due to longer ranges, HF radio was used, so there would be antenna wires on those aircraft.
I'm working on the same kit, although a mcuh earlier release, in the original Monogram moulding from 1967.
One thing I've just spotted though - the guns on the P-47 had stainless barrel tubes, so they should be bright silver.

After a top coat of future or some such, and then a mask on the decals, you could spray some O.D. to tone down the panel lines.
I applaud the panel lines, if you had toned them down before applying the decals. You seem to have the basic idea, just work with it a bit more.

I will have to try that next time meatloaf. They were easy enough to do with the sponge from the tamiya pastel set. I was happy with how the oils and shades worked out, subtle but enough to make it have variation.

Thank you all for the generous comments!

Corey, on kits with raised panel lines, it's often easier to post-shade, with an airbrush, or using a brush only just 'damp' - not as dry as dry-brushing. With good reference photos, it's possible to duplicate the effect seen on the real aircraft, along those panels and joints which typically exhibited any differences in shade.
I engraved the panels lines on my example, but I still used post-shading, with a brush, as I find there is more control. I need to adjust and 'soften' some panels, and enhance others, but this will be done when all the decals are in place and sealed.

After a top coat of future or some such, and then a mask on the decals, you could spray some O.D. to tone down the panel lines.
I applaud the panel lines, if you had toned them down before applying the decals. You seem to have the basic idea, just work with it a bit more.

great minds think alike Paul...said the same thing about the OD in an email to Corey, and then saw your post....:D

I did try Terrys suggestion for shading on something else I am working on. The wet pastel chalk makes for a nice consistent medium that when coupled with a steady hand is around the effect of an airbrush. Great recommendations all around!

Good on you!
The greats here, (and I don't include myself) have so many fantastic techniques.
I have learned so much, just by looking back in the old group builds.
And I have been modeling since the late 60's.
Wayne, Terry, Wotjek, Vic,....My friend Bill, that adapts to new ideas and takes them to new heights....
These guys are modeling gods!
Seriously, study their methods.
You will be inspired!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back