1/48 SBD-3 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have found Eduard PE sets for this kit, 2 frets, looks like a lot of cockpit detail and some external and wheel well stuff and dive flaps. Also includes the paint masks. I also found an Aires resin cockpit set but it is for the Hasagawa set. I did find a build where the fellow used it but he had to do major surgery on the kit.

Anyone know of some good aftermarket detail pieces I could use for this kit? I have searched but so far all I can find is the Eduard stuff and various paint masks. I did find some resin exhausts but again for the Hasagawa set so not sure how well they would work.

After my experience with the P-38 I know I want the masks, and I plan on posing this one with the canopy "stacked" so I want to detail the cockpit some, and with the gear down I will also "pimp" up the wheel wells a bit. And the photo etch dive flaps are great looking!

Great choice Rob!
I've got spare 1:48 Monogram markings if you need them, plus some detail photos in some of my books. Will fish them out for you and post them when I get my stuff sorted.

Last edited:
So started the build today, the Eduard Photo Etch stuff arrived a few days ago as well as the resin Flaps. Waiting on a set of paint masks I ordered as well but I can begin with what I have.

Started with basically reading the Eduard instructio ns and marking up the kit instructions where I will need to make changes. I sincerely doubt that I will use all the PE, my fingers brains and eyes could not handle the strain! But will do so where it has the most visual effect!

49284_1.gif

49284_2.gif

49284_3.gif

I picked that particular tip up here, probably from you. As far as researching before you buy. I think you were the one that pointed me to Modelling Madness reviews. I just figured it is a natural extension to read what issues or procedures others had with the same kit. And I so far have found a lot about paints for this particular kit as well as some potential fit issues to watch for. Also this time I am going to get all my seams as good as possible BEFORE applying primer or paint. Rescribe lost detail etc.

Thanks to all the responses in my research request thread! Have all the questions I had at the moment answered and am continuing my own research! Appreciate the help guys!

First pics are ready. I shot the inside of the fuselage halves with a light coat of black primer, as well as the cockpit floor and engine. I found that the interior green color looks better over a darker primer.

On a side note, finally made an app just to resize photos for this forum so I won't keep forgetting and uploading monsters that choke the page! Now I just need to finish my lite box so I can get some better quality pictures!

P2200056.JPG

Well attached my first PE part today! First pic below. Does not look like much but hey first one for me. Other pictures show I have now sprayed the interior green over the black base on several parts. Mostly cockpit areas. Progress will slow down a bit as there is a lot of PE in this area and that sure takes time. But it is fun! You can see in the last pic where something went wrong with the paint, so that part is being cleaned off and reshot. But the others are fine!

P2210060.JPG

P2210061.JPG

P2210062.JPG

P2210063.JPG

P2210065.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back