1/48 SBD-5 Dauntless - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andy70

Senior Airman
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
User name: Andy70
Name: Andy
Category: Intermediate
Kit: Accurate Miniatures SBD-5 Dauntless
Scale: 1/48
Extras: None - Straight OOB build

Jumping back in on my second ever group build. Been gone a while. Work has been crazy, but I've taken a new position, and it shouldn't take up all of my free time, so I'm anxious to get back to my hobby. This has been one of my favorite aircraft ever since I watched "Midway" with Charlton Heston as a child. I'm excited to "dive in" to this kit.

kit art.jpg

User name: Andy70
Name: Andy
Category: Intermediate
Kit: Accurate Miniatures SBD-5 Dauntless
Scale: 1/48
Extras: None - Straight OOB build

Jumping back in on my second ever group build. Been gone a while. Work has been crazy, but I've taken a new position, and it shouldn't take up all of my free time, so I'm anxious to get back to my hobby. This has been one of my favorite aircraft ever since I watched "Midway" with Charlton Heston as a child. I'm excited to "dive in" to this kit.

boo-this-man.gif
:lol:

should be a good one!

Attachments

• BooThisMan.gif
    BooThisMan.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 222
Sorry guys. I know that was a terrible pun. The goofball in me couldn't resist, though.

Got started last night and worked a bit today. Cockpit sidewall details are mostly done except a few bits like the trim wheel and flare gun. I wanted to go ahead and post some progress photos, though. The only thing I'm unhappy with is the ejector pin mark on the large pouch. I either don't have the skills or the tools to remove something like that from such a small piece, though, so it is what it is. I hope it's not visible once the fuselage halves go together.

cockpit sidewall 1.JPG

cockpit sidewall 2.jpg

Andy

Always thought of getting one of these a nice mean looking machine. Off to a good start as well Andy, very nice.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words. Ran into a snag today - couldn't find part B48 (Ammo canister) anywhere, so I had to try and fab one up. I'm no scratchbuilder, but using some pieces from the spares box (including part of a '32 Ford radiator) and some styrene rod, I managed to create something that sort of resembles the part. Now to paint it up and move on with the build...

P1020827.JPG

Thanks for looking!
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back