1/48 Spitfire Mk 22-24 - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

javlin

2nd Lieutenant
Nov 20, 2007
MS
I know what I said Terry but another venture into natural metal awaits.......

username:Javlin
category:Advanced
name:Kevin
Kit:1/48 Airfix
Accessories:True Details copit

I plan on doing the the 1951 Edinburgh Sq.,Royal Auxiliary Air Force,Turnhouse,UK.The plane sports an all metal finish with a red prop if I am not mistaken.This should for the most part be an easy build for it is an excellant fitting kit.The first pic shows you I got impatient with my hand saw and went to the machine I literally had to takt off 3/16" off the back of those three pieces IP,floorboard and seatrest.Pic #2 shows the pieces sanded down and #3 the unopen kit simple looking .

Attachments

• GB 14 Spit 001 (800 x 600).jpg
    GB 14 Spit 001 (800 x 600).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 241
  • GB 14 Spit 002 (800 x 600).jpg
    GB 14 Spit 002 (800 x 600).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 229
  • GB 14 Spit 003 (800 x 600).jpg
    GB 14 Spit 003 (800 x 600).jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 206
Sweet! Absolutely love the Spit 22/24, and what a wonderful kit airfix made of it. Wise decision to use an after market cockpit set. If anything, the OOB cockpit is not quite on par with the rest of the kit in terms of detail and crispness.

Good one kevin - and what may, or may not, be good news. Those aircraft in the RAuxAF squadrons which weren't camouflaged, were not natural metal. They were painted silver.
I'm still dithering about, wondering whether to do the same kit as a camouflaged aircraft from the 'City of Manchester' squadron.

This is going to be interesting to follow, as I am not up on all the extra you guys do to make your aircraft more realistic. That cockpit will be the show piece.

Charles

Those aircraft in the RAuxAF squadrons which weren't camouflaged, were not natural metal. They were painted silver.

You are a party pooper Terry :)

Yea Bruce just could not see hacking with the backside of an xacto the better part of a night.I have the side panels installed and started highlighting the black boxes and such but tonight had to work on the wife's cabinet for her bathroom for Mother's Day.I came up with a nice design for the door I think :)

Terry after alittle thought I think it is only right I pull the plane from the judging by class type for sure.You see I never did take any pictures of the pit I just kept fiddling and fitting ,touch up and fiddle some more.Then before I knew it one night :dontknow: how it just went together and Kevin was slapping his forehead knowing how many times I should have taken the camera to the shop.I will present photos of her done for I think the polished metal look is kinda neat.I have built quite afew planes in the last year and interest is starting to wane and others popping up ATM.I will say with the Alclad sytem using the gloss black to seal really brings out the shine it allows the paint to rub off easier though to wereas the P-38 stood up to alot more handling.One can see on the nose were the paint has started to wear and should respray easy enough.Talk about a reflection in the first pic :headbang:

Attachments

• GB 13 019_edited (800 x 598).jpg
    GB 13 019_edited (800 x 598).jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 200
  • GB 13 018_edited (800 x 980).jpg
    GB 13 018_edited (800 x 980).jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Also think the all metal look makes the model look slimmer and sleeker, if that's possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back