1/48 Spitfire Mk. IX

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
Gentlemen,

On another forum I visit they posted this wonderful video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie3SrjLlcUY

It inspired me, and I've decided to make the Spitfire PA 944 in this footage. If you have some time, please look at it, it is a fantastic story :)
and footage :)

First off, I have many questions and I would like to pick out a kit for this build, I believe the Spitfire is a Mk. IX?

I would like one in 1/48, I know Eduard make a Mk. IXc kit. Has anyone any experience with this kit? Has anyone converted a IX into a photo recon version? Is the only job required to
sand off the guns?

Any help is greatly appreciated before I start the build :)

Thank you all :D

Found this so far:
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/story-photographic-reconnaissance-spitfire-3998.html

and will do some more research later :D

Last edited:
The video is not streaming properly for me, but I've seen it before. The aircraft is a MkXI, not a MkIX.
The PRXI is basically a MkIX airframe, but with many changes. External visible differences are the deeper oil tank beneath the nose, the PR windscreen, bowser wing, lack of all guns and associated access hatches, and the camera ports specific to that aircraft. These would certainly be in the radio hatch on the port side, and on the lower fuselage. It's possible that cameras were also located in small blister beneath the wings, for low-level work, although not standard on the Marque.
The cockpit would also have the Type 35 camera controller (see Darryl's 1:1 thread), and no gun sight.
The Eduard kit is generally regarded now as the best MkIX kit in 1/48th scale, with the ICM kit next. The latter is substantially cheaper, although tricky in parts, and the only real problem is the windscreen, not needed for a MkXI anyway. You would need to either mould a new screen, or get a vacform from squadron.

To which I would, just quickly from memory, add the retractable tail wheel.
I can confirm that PA944 was a production XI, the converted Mk IX's all having EN serial numbers unless I am mistaken.

If you can, get a hold of a copy of Spitfire in Blue (which I believe Terry put ME onto) which is the story of the restoration of her stable mate PL965.

Looking forward to the build,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back