1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ajd3530

Airman
Dec 19, 2015
NE Tennessee, USA
User Name: ajd3530
Name: Alex
Category: Beginner
Kit: Tamiya Spitfire Mk.Vb Trop
Scale: 1/48
Accessories: AM decals, AM/donor exhaust

IMAG0132_zpsz25olyhu.jpg

Bagged kit I will be using, with box art.

This will be my first GB on this particular forum. While the rules are much more structured than I am accustomed to, they seem to work extremely well. Please bare with me while I learn them. And please let me know if I do something wrong.

I will be doing an American Spitfire, from the 4th FS, 52 FG in the later part of the summer of '43 near Palermo.

I'll be using Lifelike 48-025 to do "The Impatient Virgin."

01_zps6azutknp.jpg

Now this was a Mk.Vb, but apparently had newer (I assume Mk.IX?) exhaust installed, so I'll either have to get some replacements, or a set from a Mk.IX I have.

received_10208654899078963_1_zpsyczryv1h_edit_1455144675847_zpsjve78qb4.jpg

Lots of knowledgeable people here Alex. Feel free to ask questions when in doubt before you proceed. Someone will have an answer and it saves time having to change or unglue something, experience talking here. By the way, I collect the entry fees, unmarked bills, small denominations. Leave the bag by the tree shaped like an "R"

Geo

Welcome to the world of "I'll only add this bit ...." Alex.
It's nice, straightforward kit, and goes together well, from memory.

As the former new guy, I welcome you aboard the WW2aircraft.net Group Builds. It's a really knowledgeable and fun group of guys so I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. Looking forward to your Spitfire! Better hurry up... that Virgin looks Impatient.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the warm reception!!

Looking forward to your Spitfire! Better hurry up... that Virgin looks Impatient.

I was thinking the same thing.. As a matter of fact, I would go as far as saying if that broad is a virgin, I'm Tom Brady. I believe she is playing Mr. Montgomery for a fool.

Found a photo of his second Impatient Virgin. The caption says in part "...This was the second, a Spitfire Mk.Vc, shown on Corsica....Note the crude bomb rack and Mk.IX style six stack exhaust...." The nose art name comes from the fact that he was eager to shoot down an enemy aircraft.

Geo

Hello Alex and welcome :)

Found a photo of his second Impatient Virgin. The caption says in part "...This was the second, a Spitfire Mk.Vc, shown on Corsica....Note the crude bomb rack and Mk.IX style six stack exhaust...." The nose art name comes from the fact that he was eager to shoot down an enemy aircraft.

My 2 euro-cents opinion, I think it's a Mk.Vc... This style of exhausts were common on the Mk.Vc at this time (like JK715 of E. D. Mackie)

In all honesty, it might very well be a Mk.Vc, but the Tamiya kit is what I've got, so I'm just gonna wing it. Found a book on EBay that covers this fighter group in detail at a decent price. I just might have to get it.

No problem using the Tamiya kit - I used the same kit for a SEAC MkVc.
Externally, apart from the up-rated engine and six-stack exhausts on this particular aircraft, the only difference (on a model) is the fit of the cannons and the type of gun hatch covers.
Your aircraft, like most Vc types, only mounted two cannons, with the broader gun hatch covers, but without the 'blisters' beneath the wing.
I used a pair of the wider, 'flatter' upper gun hatch covers, left over from an ICM Mk VIII kit, and removed the under-wing blisters, filling the holes with plastic card and filler, sanded flush. The cannon barrels also came from the ICM kit, as these were more liek the later style as seen on the MkIX, rather than the earlier Hispanos of the MkVb,
I'll post some pics later.

Ok, as promised, here's some pics to explain what's needed.
The pic of the real aircraft suggests it's a MkVc, just going off the look of the cannon barrel fairing. Unfortunately, the pic doesn't show if there's a barrel stub fairing outboard of the cannon, which would confirm if it is a 'C' or not.
The pics show the removal and replacement of the upper blister, the removal and filling of the lower blister, and the fitting of the spare barrels and scratch-built stub fairing.
The 'Trop' version also had a deeper, larger radiator, and I used a spare left over from the old Airfix kit. However, this is hardly noticeable, unless closely examined or measured, to be honest, so you could get away with using the kit parts.
I've had a look to see if I had any spare blisters and barrels, but I'm afraid I haven't, but it's possible another member might be able to help out.
If not, then resin and brass MkIX cannons are available, and I'm fairly sure that the later, wider upper wing blisters are also available in resin, again probably as MkIX, Mk.XVI or Mk.VIII, if not shown as MkVc - Hannant's web-site is a good place to look for them.
There is, or was, also a full MkVc conversion kit around, including the wing, if my memory is correct, although I don't remember the manufacturer.
If worst came to worst, you could build the model out of the box, with the addition of the MkIX exhausts, and possibly just the cannon barrels - some MkVb aircraft had the later cannon, and the six-stack exhausts, and unless there is photo evidence to show the 'C' wing on your subject (or check the serial number against production listings), the differences wouldn't really be noticed, especially as the decal sheet shows it as a MkVb.
Hope this helps.
Bob Cross Spit V 004.jpg
Bob Cross Spit V 006.jpg
Bob Cross Spit V 025.jpg
Bob Cross Spit V 028.jpg
Bob Cross Spit V 083.jpg
Bob Cross Spit V 085.jpg

Unless I can find some concrete evidence that this was a Vc, I'll probably go with what came in the box. Although there are a handful of American Mk.Vc's that I have always wanted to make, so that said, how is the Airfix Mk.Vc kit? Has anyone put that one together? Or the Special Hobby?

Oh and this one will be put back for a week or so. I have decided to do the Tamiya Mosquito for the GB 28,and will be doing them in tandem, at least through the interior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back