>> **** DONE: 1/48 Ta-183 "Huckebein" - Prototype / Weird Aircraft / Trainers (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's getting me all keen to go get my 183 off the 'shelf of pause' (which is different to the shelf of doom), finish up the last seams (damn wing seams are evil!) and shoot some colour! :)

Dan

Actually, I hope all the resin fwd of the main gear will keep the front down; can't remember if I weighted my nose.... Damn it

D

There's room in the nose cone for quite a bit of tungsten putty and the wings on this bird are Huge and they are forward of the main gear so I'm pretty confident it will sit on the front gear OK. Wings are done and cammo-ed so just the fuselage to cammo (RLM 81) and she just about done. Guess I'll weather a bit since we're pretending it actually flew.

Very True Mike, but mine is all sealed up and partially in primer! I guess it could be worse - finish that final matte coat, attach wheels, then find out I have tail sitter! At least before final paint, I can drill a hole and just keep pushing glue covered shot in there til all is well! :)

Dan

These tricycle birds are always a PIA to get the tail up and nose down. SOMETIMES you can get weight in through the cockpit but not on the Ta, that's why left the nose cone offf until the last moment. The front wheelwell piece has a ton of room on both sides for tungsten fishing weights IF the putty in the nose cone is not enough.
Good luck with getting yours to "sit pretty"

In my case, the current one has a resin nose, intake, engine bay, seat and heavily scratch built cockpit; so there's a fair bit of weight towards the front anyway... It was not fun getting the resin nose to fit though. The resin engine bay/wheel well was basically a 'drop in and go deal' on the other hand.

Damn I want to finish that little beast now :)

Dan

Almost ready to stick a fork in it.
Wheels mounted
Front landing gear installed
Wings installed
Horizontal stabilizer installed
One hard point and Ruhrstahl X-4 rocket installed
Belly tank installed
And body/wing cammo done.
Oh yea, just learned (the hard way, natch) that if you spray ENAMEL paint with your air brush Isopropyl alcohol won't clean out the airbrush AND the paint cup CAN'T be washed out with hot water nor will the paint wash off the bathroom sink.
Don't ask how I now know that as an absolute fact. Oh yea the green will just have to wear off your fingers too
IMG_2015R.jpg
IMG_2016R.jpg
IMG_2017R.jpg
IMG_2018R.jpg

OK, yea I know, mineral spirits/turpentine BUT you have to FIRST be conscious enough to KNOW that you're using an enamel paint and not an acrylic.
Here's the story.
Instructions call for RLM 76 (Lichtblau); RLM 83 Dunkelgrun; and RLM 81 Braunviolett. Not to confuse RLM 71 Dunkelgrun (splinter) with the RLM 83 Dunkelgrun. It gets better - turns out that several companies can't tell the difference between 82 and 83...SO...Model Master RLM 83 is actually Lichtgrun NOT Dunkelgrun which is Model Master RLM 82. Thus begins the last minute search for Dunkelgrun Model Master 82 naturally OUT of STOCK. Finally find a bottle in Ohio...Hoorah...Now comes the unconscious part. It arrives, I open and spray...and clean with isopropyl alcohol and water...THEN I read the label and discover it's ENAMEL not ACRYL
Yea...Yea...Dumb Bass

Found the same with Vallejo Model Air, Mike. Not the acrylic/enamel part but the not even close to the RLM colour part. There were issues with the original colours but I believe they are sorted out now...I hope

The RLM 82 and RLM 83 are still confused. The RLM 83 Dunkelgrun as a very dark green paint actually. Usually it was applied as the fist colour of the camo. Then other colours were added e.g. RLM 82 or RLM 81. The RLM 82 Grun ( or better , Hellgrun ) was a green colour and comparing to the RLM 83 I would say it was the light green. The RLM 82 was applied as thin layers over the dark painted surface.

You may notice that the Model Master made a mistake in the RLM numbers seen in the bottle labels. For the RLM 82 you should use the Testors/ModelMaster enamel 2092 Lichtgrun RLM83. For the RLM 83 - Testors/ModelMaster enamel 2091 RLM82 Dunkelgrun.

IMG_3993.JPG

rlm82.jpg
rlm83.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back