1/48 Tamiya A6m2 Zero

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jamesrwjim

Airman
Oct 27, 2012
Washington state
Ok this is my 2nd build in 20 plus years and I am happier with this than the first. I used EZ line .003 for the antenna(that stuff works great very forgiving) The white and yellow decals did not work for me so I painted instead. I put 2 coats of future then weathered with a pastel wash and finally a dull coat (I think it's still a bit shiny) I must apologize for the dark pics my lighting situation isn't the best and the weather has been to bad to allow me to shoot outdoors. All of your comments are very much appreciated and I thank you for looking . Jim
DSC00111 (800x600).jpg

DSC00112 (800x600).jpg

DSC00113 (800x600).jpg

DSC00114 (800x600).jpg

DSC00115 (800x600).jpg

DSC00116 (800x600).jpg

DSC00117 (800x600).jpg

DSC00118 (800x600).jpg

The hobbycraft is my next project.

DSC00119 (600x800).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbright: However be careful of the Hobbycraft kit. If it is of the same accuracy like the P-40 one there will be some of hard work on the model.

Not bad at all.
From what I remember of the Hobbycraft Spit XIV, overall it's not bad, although I converted mine to a PR19. Fortunately, it's one of their early releases, and in the early box, so there shouldn't be too many problems. The tail fin is not quite right, but not too noticeable in a camouflage scheme. The main, and big problem, is the canopy. The transparent part, like most of HC kits, is very poor, and the 'step' at the rear of the cockpit is wrong. If I recall correctly, it's too high. Better to use a vac -form canopy (Squadron do one for late Spits, and a MkIX canopy would be fine), and cut down the 'step' accordingly.
I've been trying to get another of these kits, but as it looks like Airfix are releasing a PR19 next year, I can do a reverse conversion, or wait for their MkXIV, which I guess will follow eventually.

Not bad at all.
From what I remember of the Hobbycraft Spit XIV, overall it's not bad, although I converted mine to a PR19. Fortunately, it's one of their early releases, and in the early box, so there shouldn't be too many problems. The tail fin is not quite right, but not too noticeable in a camouflage scheme. The main, and big problem, is the canopy. The transparent part, like most of HC kits, is very poor, and the 'step' at the rear of the cockpit is wrong. If I recall correctly, it's too high. Better to use a vac -form canopy (Squadron do one for late Spits, and a MkIX canopy would be fine), and cut down the 'step' accordingly.
I've been trying to get another of these kits, but as it looks like Airfix are releasing a PR19 next year, I can do a reverse conversion, or wait for their MkXIV, which I guess will follow eventually.
I did get the squadron canopy for the spit and there are some issues with the fit in the cockpit and the fuselage to the wing both are taken care of. other than that it's a straight forward kit and should be done soon as far as the zero I do apologize for the pics they really don't do it any justice I will get some more up. Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back