1/48 Tamiya P-51D Mustang Ray Wetmore

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello All,

I just start this model, nothing complicated :), I just added the Aires cockpit set...
IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1459.JPG

The model I build is depicted here: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/daddys-girl-p-51d-propeller-31092.html

So, just a question: Do I fill the structure lines on the wings ? And, which ones (upper and lower) ??? I found this on the web
post-8-1082820427.jpg
WingFinishBottom.jpg
WingFinishTop.jpg

Cheers
Stéph

There is a diagram showing how the Mustang wing was made smooth. It is said that the kind of finishing was used for late P-51Ds of NMF only. But it doesn't seem to be a rule. However the kind of wing finishing caused rivets being unvisible. But these panel lines could be still noticable. It is suggested using the pre-shading technique for their better marking.

The light blue colour - areas two coats of filling sprayed on. Then polishing for making a perfectly smooth surface. And finally airbrushed with a silver paint.
The green colour - areas of one coat of filling and finished like above.
The yellow colour - a silver paint only.

p51szpachla.jpg

Last edited:
Also here.... the pic source Modelarstwo z pasj

P-51_PWM.jpg

Blue - panel lines for filling.
Red - rivets for sanding down.
Green - rivets and panel lines for leaving or slightly sanding but still visible.

That's a great little kit. I'm using it for my 1/48th version of Merlin's Magic.
You've got a nice build goin there. Seems a bit odd to Fill nice panel lines doesn't it?

Hello All,
First, I would like to wish all the best for this New Year which begin to all the members and yours beloved...
Just this post to say "I'm keep working on", painting soon.
IMG_1502.JPG

Regards
Stéph

Looking darned nice, Steph. Any issues with the Tamiya kit? I have one waiting on the pile. Not sure when I will start on it, but definitely within the next 3-6 months.
Dale

Not sure Wotjek. Not very visible on the pictures but this is the version by Fundekals... I looked for on the web and I found 2 versions for the P-51D of this unit: this one and this one plus green circle around the front on the engine cowling...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back