++ **** DONE: 1/48 WYVERN S.4 - Military Conflicts of the 1950's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

After days of frustration, I finally got the wings masked off and painted, again running clear flat to seal the edges of the tape paid off. I still have to remove the Maskol

001.JPG

This will not be finished on time and I won't asked for an extension as the lost time was of my own making. I lost a lot of time just sitting worrying about bleed under especially around the various bumps and then not being able to mix the color to match. I still have to mask off on top of 2 bumps on the fuselage. If no bleed under occurs there, the rest will fly by.

Thanks all. I started doing the camo but I'm not sure if this is right so I stopped. Using Urbans Color Reference Charts, The recommended Tamiya colour is XF-21 which matches the colour chip in the upper left...

002.JPG

...to me it looks too green. I'm thinking the colour chip in the bottom left is closer to Sky. The FS numbers of the chips from top left clockwise are 34583, 34504, 34672 and 34424. Thoughts?

It's looking good so far Geo.
I agree that the colour chip at bottom left looks closer to 'Sky', but to be honest, the colour you've painted the model, even if slightly 'greenish', looks quite good too.
Once the clear coats and decals are on, I think it should pass.
Of course, if you're able to obtain the correct shade, then go for it !

Thanks guys, I'll leave it as is as I have nothing else. If I were to attempt to lighten it to the FS34424 color, should I add a drop or two of white or a light grey? I have a lot to learn about mixing colors

One thing you could try is to finish off the XF21, then make another very thin batch, slightly lightened with white, and spray over your XF21 in uneven passes to add some depth while at the same time lightening the overall colour.

RIGHT!!!!! Just so ya know I haven't abandoned this, I finally have the paint on after a few weeks of stressing out. I have some touch ups to do but I'll let this set first, camp tomorrow and then do the touch-ups when I get home. I have to learn how far spray travels. Running a bead of clear over the edge of the tape seems to work for me as once again, no bleed under.

001.JPG

About the stressfullness. Following the kit paint diagram, I couldn't for the life of me successfully get the mask to line up at the bottom of the exhaust shroud as shown below...

007.JPG

...no matter how thin I cut the tape, there wasn't enough room between the shroud and the wing to make good enough contact. Today I said screw it, I'm going to trowel on liquid mask and hope for the best. Before I did that I checked my books as I was looking for something else and then I noticed......NOT ONE FREAKING AIRCRAFT LOOKS LIKE THAT!!!!! THE GREY RUNS THROUGH THE SHROUD!!!! SUNOVA BEACH!!!!

a.jpg

Ain't that the way things go...

You're doing a bang-up job on her Geo, especially given that it's your first foray into the world of airbrushing. Looks like you've been doing it for years! Hurry back and hopefully you're getting a decent break over the holidays.

Slowly getting the hang of it Andy. The mine works through Xmas so business as usual, but with my shift, I'm off on the 20th and go back on the 28th. As with the papermill, if a guy with young kids can't get Xmas off, I'll volunteer to cover for him so he can get the time off. Jim, I also got caught relying on 2 other build articles that mentioned the problem so that just snow-balled it. Once I saw the error, a few weeks of fretting turned into about 45 minutes of masking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back