++ **** DONE: 1/48 WYVERN S.4 - Military Conflicts of the 1950's (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all and you are correct Jim, two were lost during the conflict and both were safe ejections. Added a larger photo to Post #1, the same as one posted by Wojtek and pics of the innards in Post #2

Right.....time to start and not much of one. At 0900 Thurday, I went to the hospital to get a blood pressure monitor hooked up. I've known, and told every doctor and nurse that takes my blood pressure that since I was in my early teens I've had slightly high blood pressure and to this date I've received one bit of advice...cut down on salt which I've done since '08. So for 24hrs I'm wearing an armband similar to the one you get when you have your blood pressure taken. This is hooked up to a 3ft. hose that runs into a playing card deck sized box. This box pumps air into the armband every 30 freakin' minutes for 24hrs until 0900 this A.M. Sleep!!!! Forget about it. Anyhooo.....modelin'. Since I just started using an airbrush, I'm hooked so I'm going to attemp to use it as much as possible and this takes more planning than brush painting. First up, marking of the areas that will be masked before spraying to sidewalls. Note how Trumpeter has trapped the consoles to help alignment of the front and rear bulkheads...

001.jpg
002.JPG
004.JPG

You'll notice the consoles are devoid of any surface details. These will be added before I start adding paint...

006.JPG

I think part #17 is Trumpeter's attempt at the rudder pedals but as you can see from the photo in the Wyvern Pilot Notes, It was a small attempt...

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Hope ya feel better Geo! I have no idea what a Wyvern is so this will be very educational to watch.

What airbrush are you running again? One of the big changes for me was switching from my siphon feed Paasches to the gravity feed Iwata... SOOOO much easier to deal with!

Thanks guys and couldn't be better John.....for a 58 yr old. I have an Aztek a470 in the wood box. It comes with 5 tips, 2 siphon bottles and 4 gravity cups of different sizes. The reason I went with this is you can mount the bottles/cups on either side of the AB which I though would be a bonus for a leftie. Odd thing though, I'm using it with my right hand. Anyhoo.....between the hospital visit to get that freakin' arm band off and building a little model car for the grandkid, got a little done, dealing with the rudder pedals.

007.JPG

031.JPG

A bit of clean up needed but you get the idea. Jays game on in 6 minutes and then I can get back to serious modlen'

Good info and nice work so far Geo. Although it looks somewhat squid-like, I've always thought the Wyvern was an interesting aircraft, a powerful step before the 'jet age'.

My dog hated the noise and would disappear every time it fired up. Built up the 9pc. MB Mk.2 seat. After painting I'll add the 5pc. PE seatbelts and a scratch oxygen tube that I've seen prominently displayed in photos.

003.JPG

During the photo editting, I noticed the seat cushion was slightly askew and went down and corrected it.

Many thanks. As previously noted, I'm going to use an air brush as much as possible so I started with the innards...

001.JPG
003.JPG
005.JPG

Things I have noticed as a first time user. 1) how much quicker this was. 2nd) Detail is more pronounced. C) The paint feels odd. What made me happy.... I'm slowly learning how much paint to use, no waste this time. Not so happy...the paint spatter. Gonna have to learn how to control it. Also note that I never sprayed around the camera openings. Looking at the one photo I have of this aircraft shows no camera on the right side. Photos of other aircraft show no openings, and when I could find photos of the aircraft showing both sides, openings on one side or the other or on both sides Some showed what I took for covers over the openings and others looked like they had no openings at all.

Thankee sir. Waiting for paint to dry so I thought I would jump ahead to what might be a problem spot. Trumpeter want you to build the wing air brakes in the open position. All the photos I've seen show these closed when on the ground, hell, I couldn't find a photo with them open in the air. Reading Tom Cleavers build over at MODELING MADNESS: The Finest Review Site on the Web tells how to mount them closed as if you do it as per the instructions, you'll find out that the thickness of the brakes is thinner than the wings. The six piece outer wings, not shown is the inner part of the wing. I'm going to mount this with the wings folded. Trumpeter has the option of folding the tips as well but the later aircraft rarely if ever folded these. Also note the thin piece of card glued to the left of the upper break housing. The left side sat a little below flush

006.JPG

This is my first Trumpeter kit and so far so good but one problem I have with the kit is this...

005.jpg

....almost every attachment point is like this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back