++ **** DONE: 1/48 WYVERN S.4 - Military Conflicts of the 1950's (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Geo, and I really hate sprue attachments like that - there's always a risk of damaging the leading edge when removing the 'stump', and time needed to file and sand back to shape without leaving a 'ghost' bump that only seems to appear once the final clear coat has been applied to the finished model !

Yep, but some can be really thick, and moulded into the edge of the plastic. I had one not long ago, where I had to use a razor saw, then a chisel, then the scalpel with a new blade, and then a file and wet 'n dry !

On the paint spatter: Looks to me as though the mix ratio has not enough thinner in it. It takes a while to figure out your optimal ratios and pressures and you'll need to experiment. With Tamiya paints, I find I use between 40 and 60% thinner to paint at around 17psi.

Quite likely Andy and thanks for the input. With the Hellcat I think I was around 50/50 and the airbrush around 20psi. I went to Tamiyas site and this is what they recommend...

Untitled3.jpg

....so I need to be somewhere in the middle I guess. This time around I used a small amount of paint and thinner (trying to avoid the enormous amount of waste I had the first time around) and probably got the ratios wrong.

It is easy to count the ratio for smaller amount of the paint and thinner. If they suggested the 2/3 of paint and 1/3 of the thinner it means the 2:1 ratio. You may use "drops" instead of the 2/3 and 1/3 parts. In other words one drop of the thinner for 2 drops of the paint. 2+1=3 right? So.. practically you should use the number of the paint drops that is subdivided by 2. For instance 2,4,6,8,10 etc... The example: 6 drops of the paint and 3 drops of the thinner because 6/2=3. The entire amount of the mixture is 6+3=9 what is correct and gives the result 9/3=1. Just the easy maths.

If you use the retarder you my add it to that mix. But please make a focus on that its amount is counted for the paint but not for the mix.
For example: you took 10 drops of paint and 5 drops of the thinner ( 10/2=5 ). So the mixture is 10+5=15. Then you have to add the 3 drops of the retarder what gives 10+5+3=18 in total. For other amount of the paint you have to know how much of the retarder you need. It is also easy to count... 10/3=3,33. It means you need one drop of the retarder for 3 drops and a bit of the paint For instance : 6 drops of paint + 3 drops of the thinner and ... 6/3.33=1.8 (~2) drop(s) of the retarder.

Thank you my friend. I'm trying to use up my Tamiya supply first and then move on to some of the Vallejo Model Air I purchased. Hopefull start spraying the fuselage in a week or so.

OK. I recommend a such item for making of the paint/thinner/retarder mix... really very useful.

strzykawka.jpg

That's pretty typical of sprue attachments from any manufacturer isn't it? That's what I see most of the time anyway. I agree with Andy about increasing the thinner amount in your mixes. You should not be able discern ANY type of grain or droplets in your spray pattern. If you are using Tamiya, I'd drop the retarder... I've never had any need for it. I mix Tamiya and Gunze acrylics with 91% iso alcohol and get great results.

Good stuff John, this is what I'm looking for. What works for one might not work for anyone else. Not saying I'll use it but it's better to have many options than none at all

Didn't realize you were using a retarder Geo. Like John, I've never used it with Tamiya paints as they spray beautifully without it.

And thanks for the clip from the Tamiya site. I use their thinners but not that ratio.

Dive brakes in the closed position, can't tell if this bird carried rockets, bombs or both so I'll have to do a bit of research before I decide to open/close some holes...

004.JPG

Done for another week. Have a good week gentlemen

EDIT: found a photo of the aircraft lined up on the carrier deck, warming up, prepared for a mission: a bomb, 4 rockets and 2 drop tanks

Last edited:
Outer wing panels, John and what makes this very nice is this is where the wing stripes are and as I am doing the wings folded version, these can be done separately. On the bus and about to lose signal. Adios

Users who are viewing this thread

Back