++ **** DONE: 1/48 WYVERN S.4 - Military Conflicts of the 1950's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Geo.

Like John, surprised at the mention of attachment stubs. I've never made a model that didn't have them!

Thanks gents. Not sure of whats involved in deciding where attachment places are located but how's this for an attachment location. Hard to photo clear parts but this one is brutal...

006.JPG

Anyhoo.....methinks Trumpeter missed something on the joystick as this is how they represent it...

002.JPG

....and this is what it looks like...

Untitled.jpg

I think a some stretched sprue should do. How big would a grip be, roughly 6 scale inches?

I had the same thing with the clear parts on the Tamiya p-51 I'm building now. On the windscreen just like yours and on the bubble canopy. I filed them flat then sanded and polished the plastic but you can still see the one in the canopy

Has anyone done a chart/spreadsheet and tutorial regards paint/ thinner mixes? Might be good to put in the techniques section as a sticky.

Geo that detail is all too common unfortunately. As for the grip an eighth of an Inch oughta be close.

Good enough for government work! (I mean that as a compliment in this case my friend.)

Tout est bon à mon ami and many thanks all. A few touch-ups on the innards and then I can move onto the propellor housing which needs to be built up and installed before the fuselage halves can be joined together. The I.P. and seat harnesses are P.E. and I added the oxygen hose and ejection handle which looks huge in the photo but barely protudes past the front edge of the head rest

003.JPG
005.JPG
009.JPG

A test fit of the innards. A bit of a struggle as the tabs have to line up with slots on the left fuselage as well

009.JPG

Busy cleaning up the attachment points on the fuselage halves. I know I've already brought this up but c'mon Trumpeter, you could have moved them a few mils more...

002.JPG
004.JPG

....the arrows are pointing at bits of spare plastic that must have been left in the mold

Great work, just one question, did the RN insist that carrier born aircraft were ugly as part of the contract.

Thank you gentlemen and you are correct about many RN aircraft being butt ugly. I recently posted an abomination here...
Aircraft Mock-Ups | Page 13 | WW2Aircraft.net Forums
Anyhoo.....started on the engine cannister(?) and skipped a few steps as I'm not going to go for the contra-rotating gears which I've read work but the rear props don't match the speed of the front ones. If you don't use this option, they suggest using Part C-20 in place of the white geared part G-4. However, C-20 is glued onto a little shelf and as there is a good chance of getting every thing mis-aligned once the glue sets so I chose to use the white parts, fitted them into their respective slots without glue and the glued the housing around them. This allows the parts to "float" and when the props and hub are offered up all will be aligned.....I hope.

002.JPG
004.JPG

Thanks Wojtek. Test fitted the cannister to the fuselage and the fit was great. Some minor seam work to do but less than expected as most of the cannister is hidden.

001.JPG

A few more bits to install at the rear and then the fuselage can be buttoned up. Test fitting is a pain in the keester due to the way the cockpit mounts to the fuselage halves. The tight fit of the tabs to the slots makes for a very secure cockpit but you have to force the fuselage halves together and pry them apart. Having said that, this tab/key method of mounting the cockpit is the best I've seen. Just no pleasing some people I guess. A just look at that whacking great tail and compare it to the tail on my last build

002.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back