++ **** DONE: 1/48 WYVERN S.4 - Military Conflicts of the 1950's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all. Gluing the fuselage together section by section and so far a good fit. Landing gear is done with brake line added and aluminum tape retaining straps. Questions for Andy as I've never used this stuff before. How the heck do you cut this stuff into thin strips? I used a new blade and it seemed to drag more than cut but in the end....success. The straps on the Wyvern are black so I painted them, let them dry and then attached them. While waiting for the paint to dry, the tape seemed to lose tackiness. Bit of a struggle getting them to stick but so far so good. Do you add any extra adhesive or just what the tape has on it?

002.JPG

This is new, at least to me...

View attachment 352144

...just painted the hubs and if this system works as well as I'm hoping, I'm going to send the pic to every kit manufacturer in the world.

Separate hubs are always a nice touch! But I like the Eduard method of adding the hubs from the outside since you can do all of your sanding/painting prior to attachment.

What is aluminum tape? Care to show what a roll looks like?

Thanks gents. John, I got my aluminum tape from the local hardware store, the brand unknown to me now. I think its used to repair furnace ducts but a quick look through Google and it appears it is sold for various other uses as well, including hobbies. Note the different thicknesses as well...

aa.jpg

A bit more. Catapult hooks added...

001.JPG

For once in my life I got the entire fuselage seam in a near flawless state...

002.JPG

...with the exception of the rear seam of the rudder. However, using a technique from Wayne's book (Andy and others) I glued some stretched sprue into the seam and sanded. Now the rudder looks like one piece. That's it for another week, camp bus in 3hrs. Have a good week gentlemen and I'll pop in when the internet allows

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply to your question Geo. The key to cutting the aluminum tape is to not only use a new blade, as you have done, but to also cut the tape in several very light passes. Use a straight edge and just scratch the surface on your first pass, then go a little harder and keep progressing until you've smoothly cut through the metal. If the tape buckles, you are pressing too hard. I'm guessing about 5 swipes are needed and I do not add any more glue than what is on the tape; the glue on the tape I use is quite tacky and has so far been sufficient for my needs.

Thanks guys and thanks for the tips Andy. Spent yesterday puttering around as is my wont after my last night-shift and finally getting back into day-shift mode. Wheels, hubs and struts press fit for photo op.

003.JPG

Added a few holes to the wing-fold bulkhead for wiring/piping. This area was quite busy and I'm trying to find a decent shot.

001.JPG

About to join the center wing section to the fuselage. The fore and aft section, while a very good fit, is only butt joined so I added some card for extra gluing surface (A). There might be slight gaps around the front but test fitting show nothing serious. An area of concern might be around the rear wing roots (1&2). One build I read mentions this doesn't conform well and offered a fix. However, other builds don't mention it. Ya think I bookmarked the page?

005.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back