++ **** DONE: 1/48 WYVERN S.4 - Military Conflicts of the 1950's (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Found a photo of the wing-fold and basically will add the wiring/piping the arrows are pointing to as well. Question......what's the best way to glue these without leaving blobs of superglue. I've added wiring before and for the most part its hidden.

fold.jpg

Started gluing the wing center section to the fuselage a bit at a time, starting from the front, to line up the rear wing root.

001.JPG

There may or may not be a step along the fuselage but I'd rather have the trailing edges line up...

002.JPG
005.JPG

Good attention to the alignment Geo. The delicate details in the wing fold will require attachment with very small amounts of CA. For things like this, I make myself a CA applicator tool and you've conveniently shown me the raw material for this in you photos. Grab one of those toothpicks and an x-acto blade and slice off one end of the pick at a shallow angle so you get a chisel-like edge. Then, carefully cut a V-shape in the chisel edge.

To glue your part, dry fit it in place and put a drop of thin CA on a piece of paper or tape. Don't use the thick stuff. I like to put a piece of tape on my cutting mat and use that for a glue receptacle. Once it's all bumpy with dried glue, just peel it off and chuck it. Take your toothpick and dab the V-cut into the CA. You'll see a small amount of CA wick onto the toothpick. Then take your loaded toothpick and dab the end onto the part where you want it to mate with the other surface and the CA should wick out onto that part. If you apply too much, use a rolled up corner of tissue paper as a blotter. This picks up excess CA nicely so long as it's still liquid.

Good stuff guys, thanks. Victory on the wing roots with only a small step on the right side (which looks huge in the photo).

003.JPG
004.JPG

Going to work on the outer wing panels next and then add the wing tips which also have a fold option but production S.4s rarely if ever used this option

Tried the needle for a while but gave it up, They are quite brittle so it took 3 tries to get one that worked and then it broke eventually after I tried cleaning it. Toothpicks are much easier and a lot cheaper. When the V clogs up, cut a new one a little further back.

Many thanks. Adding more final bits before painting. Wyverns rarely had the inner gear doors down so off with the mounting piece...

001.JPG

...and a near perfect fit.

003.JPG

You'll notice the air intakes at the wing roots need to have another piece added. Not sure why Trumpeter chose to do this but hopefully it will be a good fit.

Thanks all. Which breed of 1/72 Jim? On to the wing tips...............wing tips. Looks like its time to get the mud out.

003.JPG

On the plus side, the top is darn near perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back