++ **** DONE: 1/48 WYVERN S.4 - Military Conflicts of the 1950's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And things were going so well. Was the tip solid or did it come in 2 halves? If it came in halves then it's easier to glue each to the respective wing half before gluing the uppers to the lowers.

Solid I'm afraid. Agree it would be easier if they were halves, does any kit maker do this? Anyhoo...gluing the tail feathers on. That little tab that Trumpeter has for mounting the elevators on is nigh on useless. I used liquid glue to get things lined up and then hit it with thin crazy glue. Having said that, the fit was very nice. While things are setting up I thought I would get the parts that were going to be painted maroon ready so I airbrushed some primer on them.

004.JPG
005.JPG

I must be slightly improving as there is no spatter or runs. What looks like runs on the trees are in the trees themselves, they're quite a mess as can be seen on the left. This is Vallejo primer and it dries lightning fast. I bought a small bottle as a trial and love it so I may go for the jumbo 200ml bottle for about 20$

Thanks Terry, I'll have a look and post some photos of the other tip. I'm also thinking of leaving my comfort zone of red mud and using Milliput to deal with this. Lots of rivet detail here about to be lost during the process

Maybe I over exaggerated a bit. The first photos show the wing tip slightly lower than the outer wing, the bottom side is nearly flush...

001.JPG
003.JPG

The next photo shows the gap on the bottom side. Again, the other side nearly flush.

004.JPG

On the plus side, I got the tail feathers squared away.

005.JPG

This thing is going to be a beast to photograph when all is said and done

Good progress once again Geo. Another thing that might work is to cut a narrow strip of styrene card,glue that flush with the stepped wing surface and feather it in.

Last edited:
Yep.. this should work. However I would stick two strips of the masking tape at both edges of the gap. In the way the "operative area" would be limited to the gap only. Then I would use the mix of an enamel with some of the talc powder and put it into the apperture. I would wait a little bit to give some of time for hardening and then I would use a soft rag soaked with the enamel thinner in order to remove the putty overflows and make its surface smooth.

Good work Geo! Fit looks really good outside of the wing tips and even that isn't too bad. Gotta love those Trumpeter rivets... I wish they could just tone those down a hair!

Thanks all. First step in corrections, re-scribed a little panel and tried my rivet tool for the first time.

002.JPG

A bit more work need yet

Looks pretty good. I went back and fixed my post to correct the stupid autocorrects from my cell phone post. Looks like you've got the method pegged though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back