1/48 Yokosuka K5Y, "Willow" (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

meatloaf109

1st Lieutenant
Jan 1, 2012
north carolina
This is an Arii rebox of the old Otaki kit that I started and lost the pictures when my computer crashed a while back. I was going to enter it in the "Between the Wars" GB, but I got distracted, (Computer crash, left nut problem,...) Anyways, I figure I might as well put it in here.
I did some extensive scratching in the cockpit. Most of which you will have to take my word for. I used stretched sprue to do the interior frame work and bits of plastic card and crap I found on the desk to flesh out the 'pit. Masking tape seat belts with wire do-hickies. Awesome, if I do say so myself! The colors are aotake blue, probably wrong, as are the belts, as I have since learned, but there it is! Too late to change now.

willow1.jpg

willow2.jpg

Last edited:
I've no idea what a 'Willow' is (biplane I think?), but it's looking good - nice work on the interior.
I really should learn more about Japanese aircraft, although I'll admit to little interest in them - don't know why, maybe it's the distance from Europe!

It was the main advanced trainer for the IJN, (IIRC). A biplane, it was used from the mid '30's until the end of the war, when it was also considered (along with just about everything else) as a Kamikaze aircraft.

Thanks guys, I know that this one is wrong on several different points, but as I have said, "Too late now!" anyways, here is the progress as is. Note that the plastic is two different shades of orange.

willow3.jpg

As is my preference, I am doing this as a new aircraft with minimal weathering. Getting the right shade to suit me has been difficult, but with the help of a couple of sites dedicated to Japanese aircraft, I think I may have it. It's drying right now, I will post pictures later.

Lots of orange!
I found a piece of fabric that is suposed to be from a Willow for sale on evilbay. 999.00 American. If correct, it confirms what I have been told and can determine from one of the few color photos, namely, that Japanese Navy trainer orange is a close match to what I know as "Omaha orange".

Last edited:
Soft lighting, any pictures with the desk lamp on looks like Snookie from the Jersey shore; A wobbly orange flash!
I violated one of my rules and attatched the interplane struts for painting, and then tried to line-up the top wing. Long story short, the interplanes came back off untill the main struts are dry, then I will fit them the right way.

willow4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back