1:570 HMS King George V - Unofficial GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
Ha nice, a groupbuild where nobody is building. So I might have a chance then :)

Name: Marcel
Username: Marcel
Level: eh.... no level? Absolute beginner? Still wet behind the ears? Someting like that...
Kit: Revell King George V
Scale: 1:570

After visiting Chris, last year and especially the visit with him to the USS New Jersey, I got interested in thise huge metal monsters called Battleships. This week I decided to build one, so I went to the shop. They had the New Jersey, but the model was 1/200, meaning HUGE and costed 99 euro, meaning expensive. Setting my aim lower, I only found either Bismarck or Tirpiz, both I don't want to do. Luckily the had one of my favorites, the King George V, by Revel, 1:570. So I bought that.

As I said, I'm an absolute novice and don't know what I'm starting. I only built 2 models as an adult, two stuka's 1:48, and have no experience doing these kind of things. In other words: will be fun. I probably blunder about a bit and we'll see what comes out of it. Doesn't matter as long as I have fun.
As soon as I do something I'll post some pictures for you to laugh at ;)

IMG_7818TT.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes well the HMS King George V carried 4 Supermarine Walrus seaplanes!

Excellent !!! I was wonder if there might be somebody who could start a such build. It appears it's Marcel the First. :D

Is that building a model in a ship, or building a model of a ship? Just wondered, that's all ...................

I wanted to buy this one but they only have the Prince of Wales which is 35 Dollars instead of 17 dollars for the King George. What a weird price increase for the same kit...

Whow Wojtek, you set the goal high. Mine will be eh greyish, redish, yellowish and eh blackish I think. :lol:

Btw does anybody know which colour that grey is in the humbrol colours? I find it hard to judge colours. 147 looks much lighter in real life than advertised. 106 is much darker in reality than it looks.

Last edited:
Colours you need :

Sandy Yellow ... Revell 16 - Humbrol 94, however for the teak wood I would use Humbrol 83 rather.
Reddish Brown ... Revell 37 - Humbrol 70
Light Grey ... Revell 76 - Humbrol 145 or 64
Dust Grey ... Revell 77 - Humbrol 79 or 27
Blue Grey ... Revell 79 - Humbrol 144 or 92
Brass ... Revell 92 - Humbrol 54

Here a couple of shots of the paper plane catapult with Walruses made for a paper model of 1/200 scale by another modeller .... and a couple of images of the real area.

P1130302.jpg

P1130305.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I think the Humbrol 73 can be too. Just you may add some of red to get the brick tinge. Also the Hu 147 as the 145/64 grey colours seems to be fine.

Here recommended publications...

Profile Morskie136.jpg
topdrawings17.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back