1/5th scale P-51D

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I build quarter scale. Giant Scale models must be quarter scale to qualify in that category. I'm currently building a quarter scale SPAD XIII as a flier with plans for another museum quality static example at 1/3rd scale. Each rib, longeron, web, stringer and every other part must be fabricated to scale down to the rib stitching. It's building at these scales that are very satisfying for me from a (complete) scale perspective. Detailing the cockpit of a 1/48th scale model begs the question: Why? You can't see the dang thing after it's enclosed in the fuselage halves; especially single engine fighters.

That's awesome, you have any pics?????????

I have posted some somewhere here on the lay-up of the wings. At the moment I'm waiting for some stuff to arrive related to the radio servo linkages for the ailerons. I'm bashing the plans a bit and trying to duplicate the way the original pushrods and mechanisms were installed in the bottom wing to control the ailerons in the top wing. In other words, I'm tying to stay as scale as possible. The airfoil is significantly taller than scale on this plane to make it an easy flyer. Even the full scale replicas have taller airfoils for the same reason. The Original SPAD was a bit of a handful to fly. It had to be kept fast or it dropped like a stone. I'm redesigning the landing, flying and bracing wire fittings and attach points to more closely resemble the real plane. The plans show using soldered up music wire. I'm using scale diameter cable and turnbuckles instead. I'm also waiting on raw stock to arrive to fabricate the turnbuckles. I'll follow up with the metal cable and landing gear brackets and fittings. I had to draw all that stuff up which took much time from the build. I need it to begin construction of the fuselage. It's a long process for a 1/4 scale WWI flying warbird. I think the next flyer I build will be a WWII type. They're much, much simpler. To transport these birds to and from the flying field you have to build into them a method for quick disassembly/reassembly that doesn't show externally. That means a lot of thinking and sketching for this SPAD's disassembly method. The plans method is pretty cheesy with non-scale visible hardware everywhere. I've come up with my own system but it took a lot of time and experimenting with materials and jigs. The WWII birds simply have a couple wing/fuselage nylon bolts and servo wire connections and you're flying in no time - or going home. If you don't design a clean system for a WWI type you'll end up with a tangled mess of struts and wires. Anyway, I'm babbling on. I'll try to get some pics up here soon.

This is nothing more than a plastic fantastic finish.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
The is the next example of "What if" Jan. And it has the one thing in common with historical modelling only . It is a model. :lol: However looking very nice.

Sweb, my solution, actually Switcha's, is to cut open the model along panel lines to display interior detail. I'm doing this now on my 1/48 B-29. On fighters i try to leave the cockpit open where possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back