1/700 HobbyBoss North Korean PLAN 033 (Romeo) Submarine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
In lieu of the summer semester starting and becoming a bit busy, I decided to brush up on my modeling skills by completing a 1/700 PLA 033 in North Korean colors. This build was in the planning phase for a while but I never decided to actually sit down and get to work on her, until now.
The main modeller that inspired me to start building Naval vessels, Bill, a wonderful gentleman from our IPMS Chapter and a kind soul to everyone around him, passed away last year and this build (being my first Submarine ever) is dedicated to him, R.I.P Bill, you'll be forever missed by us.

A small amount of history on the PLAN 033 Submarine, the PLAN (People's Liberation Army Navy) acquired Romeo Submarines from the Soviet Union, which they domestically built, these domestic submarines were the 033 variant. Various improvements to the design were undertaken as some of the systems (refrigeration and cooling units) were deemed inadequate for the warm tropical climates in China. Further models were introduced with various upgrades to the design.

North Korea imported 7 boats from 1973 to 1975 and domestically assembled 70 other units from 1976 to 1995 (info provided from the net).
It was on one of these boats that Kim Jong-Un toured and inspected around 2014.
kim-jong-un-submarine.jpg

MlzOiek.jpg

NK-sub-160416-000_Hkg9942455.jpg

The model will depict a North Korean PLAN 033, maybe incorporating a Harbor scene but we will see how the build progresses and if my updates are frequent. made from a 1/700 scale Hobby Boss PLAN 033 kit.

The kit consists of 2 halves (both fuselage sections joined from the middle of the Submarine, not the top as is common in aircraft, the main "tower" (excuse me for the lack of nautical terms or expertise on them I have to learn as I go along :D ) which comes in 2 versions.

So far the progress has been gluing the two halves of the fuselage together and cleaning up the seam a little, as well as panel line fixing, due to the excellent construction no putty was needed. One half went in excellently and only required a day of sanding and clean up, the other on the other hand was a bit less forgiving and kept me occupied this last week. Here are the photos so far of the progress and some details in the kit.

The Aft section with the propeller is a separate piece that goes in smoothly and leaves no seam.
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Other side of the sub.
5.jpg
6.jpg

and the top with some details:
7.jpg

I'm very satisfied so far with the kit and the details on it for such a small scale, a wonderful build and I hope to complete it soon, with a little additions to spice it up of course ;) stay tuned and thank you all for any comments :)

Last edited:
Thank you my friends for the kind comments :) I've been in a building small phase as of late.

Wojtek it is indeed a HobbyBoss kit, title edited :D

Thank you all of the comments :) Vick, It may have some figures :D but I'll see, for now just want to get this beast built :D

First, for the sail (Thanks Vick :) ) of the sub, I ran into a little issue, although there is a huge portion that HobbyBoss did great with this kit, the little "light" on the front of the Sail they only were able to capture it in a square form. This turns into a positive as most of these Subs can have a series of different lights. This can allow the model to depict whatever type they like as long as the modelling gods are on your side when you sculpt the piece.
Light highlighted in the photo
light2.jpg

and a close up from a Chinese 033 Museum submarine.
light.png

In Model form:
The original
1.jpg

other side
2.jpg

Sculpted and position adjusted (I believe this is the most up to date position as of yet but I'll retake the photos later and compare) to better match the North Korean Light, I was going to put the frame as well but maybe after paint is applied as it would be a bit too fragile at this stage.

3.jpg
4.jpg

The front shots didn't turn out that great so will have to retake them later.

Thanks all for looking :)

You know its been a while when you think you've taken photos of some things in the build, but haven't :( sorry gentlemen and ladies for the delay and the missed opportunities, took me 3 months to fiddle with the railings and finally decided on a compromise that looks good in thickness and scale, the super thin styrene rod fought me hard on being bent, but fortunately after slowly bending it, it conformed into the shape I wanted and mimics the railings perfectly as is on Marshal Kim Jong Un's Type 033, I decided after making 3 mock up railings that, in order to conform to the 1/700 scale and avoiding thickness or clutter to only keep it to the one top railing and two side railings to avoid clutter,
first some reference photos:
As you can observe the deck and sides of the vessel have rusted and started to flake, revealing some of the metal of the sub,
r3.jpg

r2.jpg

r1.jpg

Now the shots of the ship, these are pre-completed shots, everything is in place and the submarine has just left the airbrush booth and had a "slight" amount of weathering applied after drying. First time I tried Valejo airbrush paints and I wasn't really impressed :( (the upper green is the Vallejo) while the lower "Red Lead Dark" Mix is Tamiya.
ROM1.JPG

The pictures are a bit too dark so Ill have to retake some shots and present them tomorrow.

ROM2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back