1/70th Saturn V Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thebuilderofthings

Airman 1st Class
Sep 10, 2009
Kent, Washington
Well, not knowing if this is kosher or not I'd thought I'd try it out here. I've decided to make a purchase of a long time personal favorite of mine, the Saturn V. Though not from the Estes line as many of you might be more familiar with which is 1/100th scale, I got mine from a company called "Apogee Components".

This rocket is 1/70th scale and stands 62" inches tall. Apogee Rockets. I have started the build already and it's coming along nicely. The instructions are entirely on CD ROM so I'm basically building it in front of my computer. This flies on reloadable motors which costs around $10.39 each time or so depending on the source.

Now the aluminum casing that houses the entire reload ran me around $67.00 which is reusable. The build itself is very simple, it's the paint job that will be tedious and time consuming on this rocket. Soooo cheers to you folks and I hope I can get the time in on this one and show you what's going on with it. Best regards, Thebuilderofthings.

Last edited:
Let's push the boundaries, how's about a 1/70th galaxy while we're at it. Spiral, string or globular? I just shot primer and two coats of white over the entire thing last night in my garage. This takes a lot of paint for a rocket.

I know there are rockets that dwarf this toy and I chose a rattle can approach instead of my air gun. That's why it took so much paint. One can each. Let me get some pics up for you folks. I know its late in the project but I wasn't planning on putting this on any site feeling there wouldn't be the the general interest.

This is the Apollo capsule in primer. The only part not finished being built or painted. This will be filled with clay for ballast then pressed onto the SM section for a temporary fit to allow removal for the addition or reduction of clay depending on motor choice.

Attachments

• Apogee Capsule.JPG
    Apogee Capsule.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 175
I have one of the Revell kits of the 1/96th scale Saturn-V. I want to see how your turned out and your opinion of the kit.

Boy, what memories. I think you'll have alot of fun with this! I used to have one when I was a kid (I'm 51 now). The box turned into a carrying and display case. I got one now from e-Bay so it's been sitting on the shelf for quite some time now. One of these days.

If you go on e-Bay there is a guy who is selling some detail stuff for the Revell 1/96th Scale Saturn. Great looking resin parts he has. Better snag them while you can though. I don't think he'll be making them for long. North American Engineering is his name.

Here we have the SM and LEM Housing. This kit has the raised panel lines on the LEM Housing you usually don't get on most models. I haven't yet built and painted the nozzles for the SM. I have taken license to add extra detail such as panels and little 'dots' made out of chrome mylar on the SM.

Attachments

• Apogee SM 2.jpg
    Apogee SM 2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Apogee SM.jpg
    Apogee SM.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 258
This is the S-IVB Stage with the Instrument Unit at the very top above the ribbed section and finally the Conical Interstage.

Attachments

• Apogee Third Stage.jpg
    Apogee Third Stage.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 257
Boy, what memories. I think you'll have alot of fun with this! I used to have one when I was a kid (I'm 51 now).

Memories? LOL ... remember this kit being on the store shelves in '69?

If you go on e-Bay there is a guy who is selling some detail stuff for the Revell 1/96th Scale Saturn. Great looking resin parts he has. Better snag them while you can though. I don't think he'll be making them for long. North American Engineering is his name.

Yup!

:D

This is a close up of the IU with some of the details molded in the vacuformed plastic sheets. These sheets were attached by using a CA method which by nature is not friendly to styrene. But with understanding of the wicking nature of the CA and not over saturation of the parts you can get by just fine.

There will be additional resin parts added to these areas after the black gets laid down. This does come with decals to do any of the Apollo moon missions.

Attachments

• Apogee Instrument Panel Detail.jpg
    Apogee Instrument Panel Detail.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Well, there's a helluva' mess here with the "Sputnik" over. Little Sputniks do that you know! Not 4 months old yet and look at the place. Can't teach these kids nothin'!! Barely have room for my damn stuff!! What the hell is wrong with this world!
So, here is the Saturn mostly in the frame. This has removable fins for transportation.

Attachments

• Apogee Saturn V 2.jpg
    Apogee Saturn V 2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 202
NOW!That is going to look cool when done.Some niice work thus far.:thumbleft: Cheers

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone very, very much for your kind and inspiring words. It's words of encouragement that make people feel good throughout this group and keep them motivated and involved with their passion.

Thanks again.

This is the aluminum casing which the entire reload goes into. So every time you want to fly, in will cost you between $10.00-$16.00 or more depending on the source and availability.

This cost me over $65.00 which is the reusable part of the motor system. Both ends unscrew as you will see in the next shots.

Attachments

• Rocket Motor 1.jpg
    Rocket Motor 1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 148

Users who are viewing this thread

Back