1/72 Academy A6M5, 221st Kokutai, 312th Hikotai, October 1944 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wingnutz

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2007
Singapore
hey folks,

after doing my allied aircraft builds for the "Battle of Leyte Gulf", now comes the flipside and the first of my IJN aircraft builds that were used during the conflict...

it's the mitsubishi A6M5 zero, which was a better version of the legendary aircraft and was rushed to service and flew against the allied fighter F6F hellcat, but was still unfortunately outclassed...

zeronameplate_01.jpg

zero_colorscheme.jpg

ac2176.jpg

:thumbright: ...:D

...if I can help just ask!

thanks a bunch wayne...

i'm googling through IJN units that were transferred to the PIs during this timeline of the conflict...i was hoping i could do one of genda's planes but i can't seem to find a link to the IJN operations during the BOLG...

hopefully the academy kit is applicable to a certain degree for this build, with tanks and armament configurations to be confirmed somehow...

any helpful info on how to get this type correct would be much appreciated...

here's a beautifully rendered illustration of 221st planes showing different A6M5 variants...notice the different armament, drop tank configurations and hinomaru schemes...

New-Zeros-XXX-570x798.jpg

221-18 represents a Nakajima Zero while the other 221-16, a Mitsubishi.

I don't recall the 'c' series with the white diagonal wing stripes...let alone flying at Leyte Gulf...?

forget the Yellow coloured drop tanks this is apparently a myth.

Can scan you some plan view shots of A6M5 Model 52, 52a and 52b, tomorrow night....

221-18 represents a Nakajima Zero while the other 221-16, a Mitsubishi.

I don't recall the 'c' series with the white diagonal wing stripes...let alone flying at Leyte Gulf...?

forget the Yellow coloured drop tanks this is apparently a myth.

Can scan you some plan view shots of A6M5 Model 52, 52a and 52b, tomorrow night....

thanks a bunch wayne...

Hi Wingnutz,

The data in that comparative table is not entirely accurate. The Model 22 was a A6M3 (three), not a A6M5 and the early ones did not come with a long barrel 20 mm cannon. Another note is that the drop tank is too far aft on the aircraft in the foreground in the rendering.

Hey Wayne,

Can any of us get on your email distribution as well?
I am always interested in things about the Zero. You wouldn't happen to know what engine's cruise settings (maximum continuous) would be perhaps? I need the data for a flight model I am working on for Combat Flight Simulator.

- Ivan.
[email protected]

Hi Wingnutz,

The data in that comparative table is not entirely accurate. The Model 22 was a A6M3 (three), not a A6M5 and the early ones did not come with a long barrel 20 mm cannon. Another note is that the drop tank is too far aft on the aircraft in the foreground in the rendering.

Hey Wayne,

Can any of us get on your email distribution as well?
I am always interested in things about the Zero. You wouldn't happen to know what engine's cruise settings (maximum continuous) would be perhaps? I need the data for a flight model I am working on for Combat Flight Simulator.

- Ivan.
[email protected]

Sure, Ivan, I provided scans of plans for all 4 variants of the A6M5 so Glenn could review them for his modifications of the 'c' version kit to bring it back to the 'b' model...if you want them there yours, just say the word!

sorry can't help with the cruise stuff....the model 22 also had the longer wings of the model 21.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back