1/72 Airfix Ki-46 Dinah II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wingnutz

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2007
Singapore
Hey folks,

Here's my rendition of the 1/72 Airfix KI-46 Shiki "Dinah" of the 81st Hiko Sentai, 1st Chutai, Malaya, circa 1945. Wiki reference here>

It's a 1966 mould but re-issued with a new box and decals. As it's an Airfix kit, it comes with minimal details but leaves lots of potential for creative work. Being a recon aircraft, she doesn't have much on teeth and claws, but she does have beautiful lines. I basically kept it as simple as possible with minimal modifications.

1) Re-scribed panel lines;
2) Added details for the cockpit;
3) Added details and modifications on the spinners, new props, engine and engine housing details;
4) Added details on the main landing gear and landing gear doors;
5) Replaced the clear parts for the camera windows and landing lights with thick clear plastic;
6) New aerial antenna mast and added aerial wire with fishing line;

A war weary and weathered look was implemented to it to give it a unique character.

Paints were Mr Hobby acrylics, Humbrol Maskol to replicate the fuselage paint chipping, Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color and Mr Hobby Weathering Pastels to finish it off. The original decals were thin and crisp and came on easily with help from little Mr Hobby Mark Softer. The canopy masking was actually the most tedious part of this build.

Not an all too bad for a kit mould that's older than me. Highly recommended for 1/72 scale WW2 aircraft guys out there.

Ki-46_Dinah_01.jpg

Ki-46_Dinah_02.jpg

Ki-46_Dinah_04.jpg

Ki-46_Dinah_07.jpg

Ki-46_Dinah_06.jpg

More images of this build here...

Last edited:
A very cool early Dinah, does this non combat armed version have an optional rear gun mount - in the swivelable rear pit canopy tail (swivles around like those of a the Betty or Topsie waist guns)? Sorry to ask, but you don't often see Dinahs with the rear gun out or fitted - at least not that I've looked for within the net, for this gracefully fast bird.

Nice looking model and pics :) looking quite authentic, might you have any build or closer up picture shots?

Last edited:
I remember that i build this kit some 30 years ago. What you done with this model is fantastic.

A very cool early Dinah, does this non combat armed version have an optional rear gun mount - in the swivelable rear pit canopy tail (swivles around like those of a the Betty or Topsie waist guns)? Sorry to ask, but you don't often see Dinahs with the rear gun out or fitted - at least not that I've looked for within the net, for this gracefully fast bird.

Nice looking model and pics :) looking quite authentic, might you have any build or closer up picture shots?

I believe there was a swivel mounted gun for the observer initially, but this was eventually discarded. The later type intended for defense of the Japanese islands was the armed version.

There's more detail on the build in the WIP posts here>
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-finish-builds/1-72-airfix-ki-46-dinah-ii-wip-41095.html

I remember that i build this kit some 30 years ago. What you done with this model is fantastic.

Hvala Djos...yup, there's something about these old kits that needs to be revisited and rediscovered, specially these old Airfix kits. Who knows, Airfix might even issue a new moulding for this kit sometime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back